protein powder question

hangokid11
on 2/11/08 6:34 am - MT
I was looking at GNC Pro Performance® PM Protein™ and it mentioned that it's not used for weight reduction in the label....    is this the wrong product to buy  or  it's necessary for protein intake?    I'm really lost in finding what powdered protien stuff to buy.... appreciate your help... thanks!
LizzyL
on 2/11/08 7:44 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello Kelly, this protein powder is wonderful using at night time before you go to bed. because it has fast and slow protein acting blend.  You can drink one serving prior to going to bed i might go buy this protein .... lol :-) You can use a different protein powder for the morning and afternoon. When you go and buy protein powders... you want a protein powder that is easy on the stomach look for the words.... Digestive Enzyme Blend  also you want to look for a protein powder that has the Chain Amino Acids. Because Amino Acids are an excellent source of Extra Muscle Fuel  which may be depleted during intense training So you want to buy a protein powder that has a good chain amino acid ! when you go to the vitamin store again ... turn the can around and look for a list on the back some where. also look for a low surger , calorie and low carb protein powder.... and make sure the protein powder has enough protein! For example... this is the protein powder that i use... i buy the vanilla flavor. Click here ! scroll down and look at the supplement facts. when i make my protein shakes  i usually use calorie count down fat free milk. you can also add berries to your shakes and make smoothies with them i turn my protein shake into a ice cream!!!!!! tons of ice cubes.... crush them and it comes out so smooth like ice cream :-) then i add a a teaspoon of sugar free/ fat free syrup chocolate syrup!!! you can buy this at your local food store in the vegie isle. or online........ Click here! be creative , and have fun!! :-) it really tastes so good :-) this protein powder that i use  is FREE OF -  No Added Sucrose, Fat, Fillers, Maltodextrin, or Aspartame. this protein is the best!  :-) although everyone has different taste buds.... so I recommend you buying sample sizes and small cans and try them all :-) just make sure that its a good protein powder. read the labels... have fun and enjoy!! hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

LizzyL
on 2/11/08 8:04 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hi Kelly, i also wanted to add....... that Nectar Protein powders are EXCELLENT  !!! i love nectar protein drinks... you just add the scoop of protein into your water bottle and drink up! This protein powder mixes up very well click here The flavor that i love to drink is Nectar Crystal Sky. Nectar protein has all diferent flavors. i heard that the chocolate and Cappuccino nectar flavor is very good :-) this nectar protein powder has a good profile. scroll down and look at the supplement facts. read the protein label Nectar protein has only 90 calories per scoop - thats awesome! zero carbs and surgar! This protein has vitamins in it too!! :-) try and see if you like the taste  i didn't like fuzzy navel nectar  I bought it back to vitamin shoppe  i didn't have any problem returning anything to vitamin shoppe. you can drink and use this protein powder when you are at work , or after you workout also  have fun tasting the protein powders. hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

hangokid11
on 2/11/08 10:12 am - MT
Thanks Lizzy for the information  
Lori A.
on 2/12/08 9:14 am - West Bath, ME
Hi Kelly,    I use the IDS Low Carb Multi-Pro Whey Isolate Vanilla Cinnamon. I have a very sensitive  palate and tummy and wasn't able to tolerate any of the other shakes that i tried but I LOVE this one! You mix a scoop of it in a shaker with water or milk ( i use almond milk) and shake it up with some ice and it's good to go-no blender! i buy it on Amazon for around $48.00 for 80 ounces. My SO gets their chocolate powder and loves it, but i am not a big chocolate fan so i leave that one to her...lol Also you can go to bariatriceating.com and they sell a protein sampler pack for around $50 that is a good place to start, gives you a way to try out different products without spending a ton of money and ending up with a bunch of useless product.... good luck in your search! Lori
Starting Weight: 303
Current Weight: 150
Goal Weight: 110
POUNDS LEFT TO LOSE: 40
You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance. -Lee Iacocca
sarard
on 2/12/08 12:54 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Many protein shakes are made for body builders, especially since you're shopping at GNC. Which would be meant for weight gain, not weight loss. However, these products are not necessarily bad for you - you have to look at the nutrition facts label to make your decision. Check the sugar content of the shake. You want it to be low in sugar. I like to recommend shakes that have less than 10 g of sugar per 8 oz and more than 15 g of protein per 8 oz. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active