WLS and Low Iodine Diet for Thyroid Cancer

Edi P.
on 2/11/08 6:13 am - Zellwood, FL
I'm currently going through a Low Iodine Diet in preparation for radioactive iodine treatment of thyroid cancer.  Has anyone else gone through this after having WLS?  I'm 19 months out of WLS surgery.  I'm one week into the low iodine diet and really feeling lousey.  I can't have my multi-vitamin or have more than 6 oz of meat a day, and nothing containing iodized salt or processed foods, no dairy, no seafoods.  There aren't a lot of "can haves" on the diet list. If you've had this, I'd really like your input.  I've been on the thyca.org website and have downloaded their cookbook....little protein, lots of sugars, fruits, and vegetables. My energy level is fading daily and I have until the end of the month. Thanks so much!

Highest:  349
Lowest:  175
Surgeon's Goal:  189
My Goal:  A healtier happier me!! 

2014 update...regained but haven't lost faith.

sarard
on 2/12/08 12:56 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I don't have personal experience - but I do believe there is are vitamin supplements without iodine. Check your your oncologist - he or she should know the supplements. I believe they only come by prescription. Good luck! I wish you all the best.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Edi P.
on 2/13/08 2:32 am - Zellwood, FL
Thank you Sara.  It's funny they don't automatically do that for you if they know you're medical background!!

Sahrramon
on 2/13/08 6:10 am, edited 2/13/08 6:12 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi There... GNC has vitamins w/o IODINE...But I have a question for you...Did you have Thyroid Cancer before your WLS.. . I'm looking to have WLS , but I don't know if having "thyroid" cancer will stop me from having WLS Thanks. 
Edi P.
on 2/15/08 3:07 am - Zellwood, FL
Gosh, for as many times that I seem to be in that store, I totally didn't think to ask them!!!  Thank you! Although I was hypothyroid prior to my WLS, I was not diagnosed with the cancer until recently.  So that would make it 18 months after WLS.  As far as the doctor could determine and because of my ongoing blood work that was being done to control my hypothyroidism and the size of the cancer mass..they figured that I've only had the cancer for less than six months.  They had every intension of just removing a small part of my thyroid and then we'll in surgery, discovered I had Hashimoto disease also, so had to take the entire gland. Best wishes to you!

Most Active