low carb/ high protein 2 wks pre-op

momto3boyz
on 2/11/08 2:41 am - Hampstead, NC
I posted this on the main forum and someone suggested i post here also. My doctors office wanted me on a  low carb/ high portein diet for next 2 weeks, I am looking for a number range that would be a good start. I am reading labels now, which i never done before and I want to do this right. Any and all help will be appreciated . TY
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/08 6:41 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
A couple things here.  First, is this requirement from your surgeon's office?  If so, can their nutritionist or dietician offer you some guidance?  Although people online can make suggestions, it would be best if you can get specific input from your surgeon's team.  Also, if your surgeon's office isn't offering solid nutritional support before surgery, will it be available afterwards?  Or do you have another nutritionist or dietician that you will be working with?  It's important to fully understand the effects WLS can have on your nutritional needs so you don't have problems down the road.  Second, in the interest of trying to be helpful, I'd suggest following the South Beach Diet.  Phase I, or the "induction" phase, has very few carbs and I think he suggests staying on that phase for 1-2 weeks.  The next phase reintroduces a limited number of "good" carbs -- fruits, some veggies, low-fat dairy, etc.  If you try to go cold turkey from all carbs, you may experience light headedness and some dizziness; if that happens, it sometimes helps to eat the fruits that are okay on Phase 2.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
MyOMy
on 2/11/08 9:27 am - Youngsville, NC
Hi - I had my pre-op with my Dr. today and he wants me to do a 800 cal liquid only diet for pre op. Are you sure it's not supposed to be a liquid diet? Usually it's a liquid diet pre-op. Here are my pre-op instructions:                                  800 calorie liquid only diet with 50-60 grams of protein daily, may have 1 cup steamed vegetables daily. 1 Multi-vitamin daily. Some of the proteins that I'm looking at are:  Unjury ( I just ordered this online), Isopure, 50 gram slams, and Muscle Milk ( the last 3 are at GNC ). From what I have read here these seem to have the best recommendations. I'm also going to be using Sugar free Carnation instant breakfast with a scoop of protein powder. My Dr. recommends products that have about 20 grams of protein and less than 5 grams of cabs per serving. Then for liquid intake; any Sugar free drink mixes such as Crystal light/Kool Aid, low sodium broths, SF popsicles. Hope this helps!

sarard
on 2/12/08 12:57 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
You need to get this from your doctor's office. If he or she is suggesting this diet, then they should have guideline for you.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active