Dreyers no suger added ice cream? Bad or good 4gram sugar alcohol

Evon Corona
on 2/10/08 11:26 am - TX
I went to gnc and bought isopure portein power and the guy said I can make it taste a whole lot better with a bananna and some sugar free Ice cream, I went out and bought some no sugar added dreyers and notice that it has 4grams of sugars and 4grams of sugar  alcohols, It's only been 30 days since my RNY and Im not sure if its safe to add the ice cream to my shakes, I haven't open the power shake or the ice cream, I guess I'm just to scared to get sick or eat the wrong thing, can someone please shed a little light on the whole differents of sugar and sugar alcohol?   Regular ice cream doesnt even mention sugar alcohols, why does sugar free? Oh I have another question I had a small piece of pineapple two days ago and was in a lot of pain, will I ever be able to eat fruit again?
Robin W.
on 2/10/08 8:21 pm - Franklin, OH

For me I can eat SOME sugar but SUGAR ALCOHOLS make me very sick. Some people dump some don't. I would just start with the 'plain' shake and see how you do on that then you can add the other items later. You might want to just try the ice cream a few bites alone to see how you do with SA's.  I can't eat any of the "Sugar Free" candies because the SA's are so high in them . If I really want a bite of candy I just do the regular and have a bite or tow and toss the rest or save it for another day.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Karen S.
on 2/14/08 3:47 pm - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi, I use the Isosource protein powder.  I mix it with 1% milk and either banana extract or cherry extract.  If I use the banana extract then I use 1/2 banana; if I use the cherry extract I use 1/2 tsp of Nestle's chocolate quick.  Both taste good. I have tried Bryer's sugar free ice cream (not in my shake) and it was very good and I did not have any problems with it, however everyone is different and everything effects each of us in different ways.  I agree with the above reply, try it in a small quanity and see how it reacts to you.   Sugar alcohols have to do with sugar free items...I don't know the whole story though..sorry. As far as fruit, you are still real fresh from surgery, so give yourself time and try it again in a few weeks...Just remember to chew really good. Good luck...Karen Schworm

Miss Thang
on 2/14/08 11:09 pm - Buffalo, NY
Im only 2 weeks out it may be different later, but when I tried adding a banana I felt very uncomfortable, my pouch didnt appreciate it much, although I didnt dump or puke, it just growled alot and felt kinda crampy.  I havent tried the flavoring I think I will go that route next time... I havent been brave enough to try the suger alcohol sorry...
Wyldethang I LOVE my RNY!!!  Magick Happens, just BELIEVE! Namaste
Fairy

Evon Corona
on 2/15/08 3:48 am - TX
Thanks for your responds, I really enjoy this site everyone is so helpful, thanks again.
ReneeB53
on 3/3/08 8:21 am - Wilmington, DE
Hi As far as sugar alcohols go I have found that if I keep them low like products with 4 or less I am fine. South Beach diet has a protein bar that's soooo goood, but it has like 18 sugar alcohol and I really suffer with gas, gas, gas and tummy rumbling so much it is uncomfortable and embarrassing. So find out what works for you. Renee
Most Active