Sodium - how much is too much?

JackieinWA
on 2/10/08 10:08 am - Lynnwood, WA
Hello.  I am hearing that sodium can influence how much weight we lose because of the salt content.  My dietitian has not addressed this?  Has yours?  Or do you know how much is a good amount for a person eating between 800 - 1000 calories per day? Thanks for your help. Jackie

LizzyL
on 2/10/08 10:59 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello, i don't know the answer to this.....  although to be honest with you ........with a 800 - 1000 calorie diet plan.... i really don't think you have to worry too much about salt in your diet. you are not eating a high calorie diet. with a higher calorie diet.... you may need to watch your salt intake. don't stress over salt...  you will eventually lose your weight. don't stress over everything little thing....  weight loss WILL happen, trust me :-) just concentrate on getting in enough protein and water....for the day. protein helps with weight loss.. also make sure you eat your vegies :-) keep up with your water intake so you can flush out your system. if you are in a plateau , ride it out, and stick with your diet plan. don't panic!  stay with it ! just bump up your exercise and increase your workout intensity level. instead walking slow on the treadmil....bump it up a little bit. and if you are walking in moderate speed at the mall.... pick up the speed walk faster then you usually do. if you bump up the workout intensity and if you do interval workouts.... ONCE a week.....or even twice a week your body will not get comfy and hit a plateau. you'll see the scale move :-) you need to burn off the calories that you take in. if you do have water retention from salt , there is really nothing you can do about it. to get rid of it..... you must drink more water and sweat it out... by exercising.... break a sweat! stay active!! eventually you'll get rid of the water and salt retention in your body. it usually doesn't last all that long.... if you do find you are having a very hard time with this ...and it is lasting longer then usual. please call your surgeon.... hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

DanielleH_RD
on 2/16/08 6:25 am - CA
I agree you probably won't go over-board on the sodium with such a low calorie diet. But, you asked how much is too much. The average American consumes 5-6 grams of sodium per day (5000-6000 mg) It is recommended not to go over 3-4 g per day (3000-4000 mg) A low sodium diet would provide 2 g (2000 mg) sodium each day. Finding low sodium foods is easier today than ever before - there are just more choices at the grocery store.  But this is the time for you to start establising better habits - keep an eye on your sodium intake and aim to keep it within the above guidelines.  It is a good habit!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active