Protein supplement for the non bariatric pt

katesmom
on 2/5/08 9:59 am - Connersville, IN

My daughter had RNY on 9/11/07.  Doing good.  My question is, Im trying to lose weight.  Would the protein supplements help me with my weight loss journey?  Have lost 30 lbs this past year and have 40 to go. Any help would be nice. M

jinjer
on 2/9/08 5:57 am - Eastwood, KY
It would help if you are doing a low carb/high protein diet, or a South Beach type diet. You will need to find one that is low in carbs as well as high in protein. Many of the Slim Fast drinks have tooooo much sugar in them. Jinjer
DanielleH_RD
on 2/9/08 8:48 am - CA
High protein is one route - but I wouldn't recommend it. The point of dieting SHOULD be to establish good habits that you can live with for the rest of your life - not just a temporary thing. My bias is that you should try to use food (real food) to help you with weight loss. Though I understand some people need to use a liquid diet, if you are only trying to lose 30-40 lbs, you would do well to find a good diet and exercise routine that works for you and that supports long term good habits (so you don't have to go through the same thing 5 years from now) good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

katesmom
on 2/15/08 9:15 pm - Connersville, IN
Thank you for your input. 
Most Active