Need some serious help with my diet..

kimberwhit66
on 2/4/08 7:58 am - Davison, MI
I had my surgery in June of 2006.  I lost 100 lbs (lowest was 193) and I've stayed at about 195-197 for the last 10 months or so.  I have really gotten into some bad eating habits again and fear to start gaining weight.  The scale has crept up a couple lbs and I know I have to seriously stop eating the garbage I have been.   I went back on my weigh****chers pts. system, but the problem I am having is that I feel like I am STARVING!  I am soooooo hungry all the time.  I have forgotten what I should be eating and I need advice on that as well as some suggestions for healthy snacks/meals that  may keep my satisfied longer.   I did not have the surgery to fail, but I feel like that is exactly where I'm headed.  I still have 25 lbs or so I would like to lose. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm really almost in a panick about getting back on track, but could really use some help on how to do it.  I am starting my exercise up again also (running 30 min. 5 days a week).  Thanks! Kim
Kim
Suzette B.
on 2/4/08 11:52 am
Hi Kim, Are you remembering to include protein with all of your meals? Small amounts of chicken, turkey, fish, egg whites, lowfat cottage cheese or yogurt (nonfat Greek yogurt is really good) or protein shakes are good sources. Protein helps you feel fuller longer! I also find keeping a food diary is very helpful. You can take a hard look at what you're eating and how balanced it is when it's all down in black and white. Hope that helps! Suzette
Suzette Kroll-Barancik, RD
Your Personal Nutrition Guide
cutie3pie5
on 2/5/08 1:20 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Kim, I too feel this terrible fear about gaining weight back.  There are times when I see the scale move up a couple of pounds and I go right back to basics and re-motivate myself that this is the lifestyle I chose.   I think the weigh****cher points system is a great guide to portion control and getting a great balance.  Finding balance is something I tell a lot of people, because everyone is different.  I ended up having to call my dietician last week and need to have her give me a guideline as to what I should be eating a day and what portions.   She was awesome, she custom made an outline for me based on being almost 3 years post-op which is great, because the 1 year post-op plan is different than a 3+ year post-op.  And she has me on 6 ounces of grains a day, 2.5 cups of veggies, 1.5 cups of fruit, 3 cups of dairy (cheese, milk, etc), and 5 ounces of meat (or equivalent - beans, etc).  I can balance these out during the day (1600 - 1800 calories is what she told me stay around.)  This plan is based on exercising during the week.  My dietician also said that I should have a pre-workout meal like whole grain cereal, an orange or peanut butter on cracker/graham crackers before I workout so I don't crash (I was crashing during workouts.) Great job on the exercise!!!  I have started back to running/walking also and doing in home workouts.   I wish you a lot of luck!!! Keep up the good work!! ~Shannon
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/08 1:16 pm
Kim, Calculate your RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate), plan your meals to not exceed this number. Eat 3 Meals a day and drink plenty of water. For an example, mine is 2600 calories. So I divide that by 3 and I can eat 866 calories a meal. So, I plan plenty of protein and my carbs comes from fruits and veggies only. I don't snack because that can lead to grazing.
Most Active