Too much protein?

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/08 11:21 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

I know I've read posts on this before, so apologies for asking the same question again.  But I'm wondering if I eat too much protein?  Here's my basic information based on my last four week's averages: Current weight:  194 pounds Average daily calorie intake:  2320 Average daily carb intake:  290 g. Average daily fat intake:  65 g. Average daily fiber intake:  33 g. Average daily protein intake:  150 g. I lift weights 4 times per week - 2 sessions for lower body, 2 sessions for upper body at about 1 hour per session.  I'm lifting to firm, tone, and improve muscle definition, not to increase muscle size.  I also do 4-5 cardio sessions each week, for 45-60 minutes per session.   My protein intake seems a lot higher than many folks, and I'm wondering if taking in this much protein can be unhealthy on a long-term basis.  I would appreciate any information or insight that folks can offer.  Thanks in advance for your time. 

Kellie

Just Valena
on 2/4/08 5:40 am - Nunyabizness
Not sure where I read it today, but there is a post on one of the boards about TOO MUCH protein, how it is bad for your kidneys and may have some bearing on osteoporosis.

Just Valena
on 2/4/08 5:44 am - Nunyabizness

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/08 9:41 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Thanks, Lena.  I had seen that post earlier today, which was part of the reason for my post.  I'm hoping one of the dieticians here can chime in as well with some input about how our protein needs are affected by strength training and other exercise.   Kellie
LizzyL
on 2/4/08 10:10 pm, edited 2/4/08 10:13 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello Kelli, i am not a professional. although i do think that your protein in take is a little high. even though you are working out with weights....  i was always told that I should stay around 80 - 100 grams of protein each day. only because we can develop some problems down the road later on, if we eat too much protein. Excess protein is not required while weight training and dieting. although if you are a HEAVY WEIGHT TRAINER , then maybe a little bit more protein. i am really not totally sure.. if I were you ...I would lower the protein a little bit and stay around 80 - 100 grams per day. i read somewhere that it depends on how much you weigh  1 gram of protein per every pound you weigh and thats how much you should eat per day. although i have to be honest with you...... i am not totally sure about this. best wishes to you :-) hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

LizzyL
on 2/4/08 10:50 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hi Kelli, just me again :-) i just wanted to give you this below. here is a good website to check out. http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html all the best, hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 3:43 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Lizzy.  Thanks for the link - I followed it and did some other searches online for more information on high-protein diets.  There are some formulas for figuring out the minimum protein requirements for an average person - something like body weight in kilograms times .8.  So for me, that works out to between 66-70 grams per day.   There were some references to a high-protein diet potentially leading to calcium deficiencies; I think that has to do with the fact that our bodies use calcium to handle some of the by-products of protein being broken down and used by our bodies.  But these articles did not talk about what happens if you take additional calcium supplemental over and above RDA, like a lot of WLS patients are required to do.  They also didn't talk about whether you can mitigate potential damage by doing other things to strengthen your bones, like weight bearing exercises and strength training.   There were also articles that seemed to suggest that a high-protein diet should not be harmful as long as it did not go above 2 grams per day for every kilogram of body weight.  In my case, that would be about 170 grams of protein a day, and I don't usually eat that much.   Thanks again for the link - it led me to some interesting information.  I'll continue to do my research on this so I can make an informed decision.   Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 8:00 am
Boy, we just keep running into each other I was curious to see the responses - I don't eat quite as much protein as you but definitely well over 100 on most days. I was wondering if it is a factor if you eat more carbs? I know you and I both eat quite a few carbs as well, so does that make the difference? I can see people having problems if protein is all they eat , but it would seem that if it balanced out percentage wise it would be alright - am I making any sense? I know my protein consumption is at an average of 105 a day, which is 16% of my overall calories. My carbs average at about 300 which is 45% of my average. Seems like the amount is not so much important as the percentage. Hopefully a dietician will see this and give us a better idea of this whole thing!
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/08 9:36 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Hi, PJ, fancy meeting you here!!!  I don't know if the relationship b/t carbs and proteins is relevant, but I'm curious about that as well.  From what I've read online, the "dangers" associated with a long-term high protein diet is somewhat related to the byproducts that are created when protein is broken down.  Those byproducts may cause damage to your liver and kidneys.  What I'm trying to find out is how much protein is too much protein!  Like you, I'm still hopeful that a dietician will see this and provide some more information. 

I may also ask one of the folks at my fitness center for their thoughts on this.  Some of them are pretty knowledgeable about nutrition, so perhaps they can offer some insight here as well.  I'll share anything interesting I learn -

Kellie

Most Active