Post-op calorie intake??

sara34
on 2/2/08 8:16 am - Portsmouth, RI
I am curious as to what my calorie intake should be 12 days out of surgery. This is what I ate today: 8 oz skim milk w/ 1 scoop unflavored protein powder 200 calories /30 g protein pureed lobster salad with reduced fat mayo 120 calories 1/4 refried beans with 2 tbsp. fat free sour cream and 2 tbsp. cheddar cheese 165 calories/11 g protein 1 EAS Myoplex protein shake 300 calories/ 42 grams of protein I know that this shake has a lot of calories...only 20 from fat, but that is what really bumped up my calorie load today. I love these shakes and they are a huge amount of my protein. I know that the 830 calories that I ate today is too high. What do you suggest?
cutie3pie5
on 2/5/08 1:35 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Sara, when I was two weeks out from surgery, I was put on soft foods, like tuna, soft chicken, softly cooked veggies, puddings, applesauce and things like that.  I know for a good 6 months post surgery I was eating about 400-600 calories a day.  (But everyone is different and may be able to sustain more, especially if they are exercising.) I would do my protein shakes/carnation instant breakfasts as snacks (as prescribed by my surgeon and dietician.) But would really focus on having  a balanced meal of soft protein and soft veggies and soft fruits in a meal.  (per my surgeon's plan)  I exercised alot so I had to include snacks to keep my blood sugar levels from dropping too low.  Did your surgeon or nutritionist/dietician give you a recommended food intake plan?   Your protein intake is great! But some of those protein shakes can be really high in calories, maybe you can split them up during the day??   If you are really unsure I would definitely talk to your surgeon's office to make sure you are on track with their program. ;) I hope this helps.   GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS on your surgery!! ~Shannon
Most Active