chelated iron and vitimans

kleekelly
on 2/2/08 10:04 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Hello,

My doc gave me a list of stuff to get, and one thing was chelated iron.  I found it at a local grocery store, but it is small capsules.  Will I be able to swallow these after surgery..... or do any of you recommend a chewable iron for after surgery that is chelated?  And how about the calcium w/D 500 mg???  Is there a chewable or will I be able to swallow a pill?  And Tylenol... where do you get liquid and how far out before you could swallow the pill form?  Thanks  so much... I have surgery in 17 days and am just trying to get ready!!!

Kristy 

cutie3pie5
on 2/5/08 1:48 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Kristy, that's a great question!  I too had the same questions pre-op.  My surgeon gave me the option to take chewable vitamins after surgery, and that I did do.  He said that I could try  pills but recommended chewables for the first 3 weeks.  I was able to take Tylenol after surgery as needed, in pill form.  Liquid Tylenol I have seen sold as CVS and Walgreens, but some stores have taken it off their shelves due to some parents overmedicating their children (*rar*).   This would be a good question for your surgeon's staff before you have surgery to verify what they want you to do.   I know personally there are some pill form vitamins that absolutely make my tummy hurt so badly, so I can't take them.  But chewables do work.  Some members have mentioned that chewable vitamins may not absorb properly, but this would be a good subject to talk with your surgeon's staff about also. I hope this helps. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!! ~Shannon
Most Active