kidney issue affecting diet? WLS post op?

hangokid11
on 2/2/08 12:09 am - MT
I have a low GFR and for some reason the surgeon wanted the lab results on that as it will affect the WLS and the weight loss afterwards... I've not met with the surgeon, nutritionist yet...(feb 14th,'08) but to ease my mind,  i appreciate any input from the dieticians..   i noticed that for anyone who have kidney problems needs to be on a low protein diet, but WLS requires a high protein diet...?? and I have a tendency to retain water (i try my best to watch the sodium intake ...but still!! get puffy eyes and water retention)  and I also drink lots of water... read a post  abou****er intoxication... i can still be dehydrated even drinking 3 gallons of water a day??   ~Kelly
sarard
on 2/2/08 1:45 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Really, it depends on how bad your GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is. Your surgeon ordered this to detail the function of your kidneys. He or she is basically wondering, "how bad are her kidneys", or to be positive, "how GOOD are her kidneys". If you are able to have WLS, you will need a FULL assessment from a dietitian (not a nutritionist). And be FOLLOWED by a dietitian. Make sure you are seeing a dietitian. Nutritionists only deal with nutrition, they don't deal with disease. Dietitians have more knowledge in diets for diseases. Depending on the value of your GFR, you could have some underlying kidney disease. Which would affect your fluid intake and protein intake. If you are making adequate, normal urine, you will likely be able to tolerate the usual 64 oz of fluid per day. But you do mention that you have water retention ..... so you do need an evaluation. Water intoxication does exist - but I've only seen one case of it and that person was drinking 10 gallons of water everyday for 6 months. I doubt any WLS client would be ABLE to consume so much water tha****er intoxication would be an issue -- but I've been surprised before. In any event, I don't think that should be a concern for you. In addition, unless you are over 800 lbs, I don't think you'd be dehydrated with 3 gallons of water. Unless you have some other medical conditions or severe out of control diabetes or something like that. However, if you do have kidney disease, drinking 3 gallons of water could produce some symptoms of excessive water intake. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
hangokid11
on 2/2/08 2:44 am - MT

Well from my labs  they are always between 50.55 to 55.10 and has been for a long time

Most Active