Dietitians...please advise on caloric intake

JackieinWA
on 2/1/08 11:33 pm - Lynnwood, WA
Hello.  I am currently 15 weeks post op.  My weight loss is slowing down so much. I am averaging around 1 lb every 2 weeks.   I am doing cardio for 30 - 40 min. 4 times per week and strength training 3 times per week.  I am currently averaging between 1000-1200 calories per day.  My question is...my dietitian wants me to increase my intake to 1300-1400 calories per day.  She does not tell me how many carbs to take but to ensure I am now getting 70 g. of protein in per day.  Isn't 1300 calories a little high at this point?  Please know that I am not trying to put down my dietitian at all.  I am her first sleeve patient and she openly says she is learning with me regarding the nutrition plan.  I want to still be losing around 1-2 lbs per week.  Oh, also, when I work out, I am averaging around 230 - 260 calories burned. Thanks for your input. Jackie

sarard
on 2/2/08 1:23 am - Costa Mesa, CA
When we estimate a person's calories, we look at : diet history, medications, past medical history, weight loss history, to name a few. If you are seeking the advice of a REGISTERED DIETITIAN, than he or she will have estimated your calories based on all the elements. I do not have nearly enough information to tell you if he/she has estimated your calories correctly. However, I have faith in dietitians and since you've been happy with her thus far, I'd recommend you to follow her advice.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 2/2/08 1:27 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I just re-read your post - sorry. Just to ease your mind a bit, I have a few clients who intake close to 2000 calories per day. And, they are not gaining weight. Those clients are around 18 months post-op. Calorie intake is very, very individual - see how you feel when you eat more ... that will give you the best answer.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active