PCOS and Food

Brandi F.
on 1/31/08 7:04 am - Hamburg, PA
I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance and I'm wondering if this should influence what I choose to eat? Or are my choices ok already? I know I'm losing weight and I'm so grateful for that, but it's only one aspect of being healthy, y'know? I really want to do everything I can to be healthy and balanced. I very rarely have fatty or sugary food. I don't dump when I eat these things, but I choose not to have them in my diet because I'm wanting to eat sensibly and healthily and I'm creating new habits, etc. etc.. I don't consider them a no-no so that I don't crave them. (Yeah, "head games" but it work for me, LOL!!) I don't eat simple carbs. When I use rice in something it's wild rice, which isn't really rice at all. No bread, no pasta. I have Kashi whole grain crackers. One a day with my cheese. Otherwise I have protein and veggies and fruit. Yogurt too. Oh, and nuts, in moderation. My NUT doesn't want me to concern myself with counting carbs, but I'm wondering if this is best for me due to the PCOS and IR. Any thoughts?

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

sarard
on 2/2/08 2:02 am - Costa Mesa, CA
The insulin resistance is the concern. Typically IR will go away with WLS. We (dietitians) do meal planning often for people with IR & diabetes. Yours will be a bit tricky due to the diet restrictions you also have for WLS. If you still have IR (despite being post-op), you will want to seek the advice of a registered dietitian. If the NUT working with your surgeon is a NUTRITIONIST (not a DIETITIAN), then you will want to have a consultation with a dietitian. Nutritionists are not trained to treat disease, like diabetes or IR.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Brandi F.
on 2/2/08 2:21 am - Hamburg, PA
How do I go about checking to see where my IR is now?

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

sarard
on 2/3/08 12:08 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Go back to the doctor that diagnosed you with it. Follow up with him/her. Usually it goes away - but not for everyone.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active