Why am i thirsty when i am drinking more water?

Nicole T.
on 1/31/08 4:23 am
Hi, I have been trying to improve my water intake before my surgery so that I am well hydrated during surgery and my body is used to that amount of water. That said, I am now always thirsty no matter how much i drink. I can only drink so much before i feel nausea. what is the deal?
LizzyL
on 2/1/08 4:44 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hello :-) you are probably drinking way too much water then you should be. you can drink too much water and get very sick ... CLICK HERE to read more ! how much water are you actually drinking ? is it more then 8 cups of water a day ? easy does it on the water intake  If you drink too much water you will flush out your elecrolites and you can become very sick. be careful.... when you do get surgery , yes... we should be drinking water .. but no more then what is required for us to drink in a day. you can flush out your nutrition and vitamins as well... please be aware of this....espeically when you are a new post op. if you are always thirsty, that is a sign of dehydration. you have to always drink water and keep hydrated. bring your water bottle where ever you go. and sip on your water throughout the day. that means if you are not eating , you should be sipping on your water. don't wait till the end of the day to try to get in all your water intake for the day. you will only end up in the bathroom all night long...lol so try to get into a habit and start drinking your water right in the morning.... then of course wait 30 minutes and then start eating.... please go over this with your surgeon and nutritionist so they can give you a better guide on how much water you should be drinking during the day. when you have doubts about anything , always ask your surgeon and nutritionist. best of luck to you on your new journey!! hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

horselady1
on 2/1/08 7:23 am - Clayton, NC
I also know that drinking cold water makes people more thirsty than drinking it at room tempurature because it takes your body more energy to use it, leaving you thirsty.  That being said I can't tolerate much plain water either since surgery so to get it in I drink a lot of Crystal Light, Ice Tea, Alpine sugar free cider and Swiss Miss diet or no sugar added hot chocolate. 

When Life Gets You Down, Get Up On A Horse!
Starting weight 269
Goal weight 150
Current weight 140 and lookin' hot!

Most Active