Appetite Suppressant

Margo L.
on 1/31/08 2:37 am - Sandy, UT

Hello everyone...thisis my first post!

I had Gastric Bypass on 1/7/08.  For the first 10 days I did not feel hungry but since then I feel hungry ALL the time!  At my 2 week follow up my Dr. told me that for 10-15% of patients this surgery does not suppress their appetite for some reason like it does for the other 85% that had the surgery.  I have spoken to my Dr. office a few more times about this because I constantly feel like I'm starving!  I thought it might be in my head but my stomach growls and groans all day long!  I've done everything the Dr. has asked me to (drink more water; drink a V8; have a small snack, etc.) and nothing has helped.

Does anyone or has anyone had this same problem after Gastric Bypass?  
Has anyone taken appetite suppressants and if so, what kind?

My Dr.'s nurse told me that appetite suppressants won't hurt my pouch but because they are not a diet clinic they do not recommend them.  I plan on inquiring about them with my Internist next week but thought I'd ask to see what others do to curb their hunger (if they are hungry).  I'm very frustrated that the surgery did not supress my appetite and that an hour or so after a meal I'm hungry again!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
~Margo~

melissa1973
on 1/31/08 11:33 pm - CT
Just some thoughts, could be right or wrong, I'm just going on the gazillion like posts I've read in the past 10 mos on OH. I also felt like I could eat up a storm my first 2 mos post op, it went away after I healed and I still to this day couldn't eat like I did at 1 month out. Maybe you really are hungry because you aren't eating enough, still on liquids or purees or only able to eat super small amounts of food at a time? It would make sense your body was hungry because it's not getting enough food. Or you aren't even a month out, there are tons of posts out there of people newly post op saying they eat all the time and are afraid their surgery has failed, it's because they cannot yet feel the full sensation because the nerve endings in their pouch after surgery haven't healed and that can take 3 or 4 months to happen, then when it does, boom, you suddenly can't eat as much and get full quickly. Until then it's important to measure your food since you can't trust your full/hunger signals yet. Or you drinking too soon after you do eat food, that is a sure way to get hungry quicker as you flush the food all out of your pouch. Or are you choose slider foods or not choosing protein foods first? You may only be able to handle slider foods right now this soon post op but those types of foods empty out of your pouch very quickly compared to denser protein, most of us find we get extremely full off a couple oz of chicken but can eat a full cup of yogurt. (slider foods beings soft and slide out of the pouch quickly) Well those are my best ideas from things I learned here from OH, maybe a dietician will pipe in with something better but I hope something above might help, take care and good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!
339 / 151 / 155?   day of surgery / current weight / goal weight
190 lbs lost
View my profile to see my weekly stats.
Judi J.
on 2/1/08 8:18 am - MN
A woman named Kat C used to post here but I haven't seen her for awhile. She said that she was legitimately hungry from the beginning. I think once you are able to eat real food, you will be able to do lots of small meals of dense protein and be ok. She was very successful and looks terrific but I don't think she did diet pills. She just learned how to eat to feel full. At least your surgeon has run into this before, keep bugging him with questions, that is why he gets the big bucks! best of luck to you, it WILL get easier. judi
Most Active