Should i be worried?

covingtono
on 1/31/08 1:10 am - Williamstown, NJ
Hi. I am about 7 months post-op and have lost about 67lbs. so far. My concern is that my appetite is really picking up. On some days, i feel i can eat like i could pre-op.  i don't like that. What's going on?  also, what happens to your body at the 18 month point that stops your weight loss?
melissa1973
on 1/31/08 11:51 pm - CT
I don't know what kind of surgery you had so I'm not sure if this is useful to you, but on the rny board people post all the time panicking that their hunger has returned and it's usually between 4 and 8 months post op. This is completely normal and not a bad thing but brings about a lot of fear anyway. But even skinny people get hungry and eat. We can't eat 600 cals a day for life, eventually we are going to eat normally again and need to. Some need 1200 cals a day for life to maintain, some eat 1500, some even eat 2000, everyone is different in that obviously. The magic 18 month point doesn't mean you have to stop losing weight forever, it's just the point when usually our pouches have reached a larger capacity which is normal and the malabsorption of fat and calories has decreased or stopped and by that point losing weight or maintaining is mostly up to us. Our pouch is still much smaller than the average persons stomach and we can still use that tool, but by then we can also eat around our surgery if we are determined enough. If you keep to the pouch rules of protein first, don't ever drink with meals, etc. you can still work it if you want to. pouch rules : http://www.gastricbypassfamily.com/PouchRules.html I'm not a dietician so just take what you need from this and toss the rest, I'm just responding with what I've learned from reading OH daily for 10 months. Good luck, I think 67 lbs in only 7 months is terrific and you should be proud of that!
339 / 151 / 155?   day of surgery / current weight / goal weight
190 lbs lost
View my profile to see my weekly stats.
covingtono
on 2/1/08 11:38 pm - Williamstown, NJ
I am a revision from lap band to RNY, by the way.  Thank you so much for alleviating some of my fear.  I'm realizing i'd better "watch it" (my eating habits).
Most Active