Chocolate protein powder = caffeine??

Cruz F.
on 1/30/08 5:04 am - Lake Jackson, TX

I was given a whole bunch of information on what my diet will be like once I have my surgery and a couple of pages were lists of protein powder drinks that I will need until I can start solids again.  All were available in chocolate and vanilla.  So when I told them the one I chose and that it was chocolate I was told that I couldn't have chocolate flavored because chocolate is caffeine.  But yet I see alot of you use chocolate flavored powders etc.  Is the caffeine restriction only temporary or am I missing sonething?

sarard
on 1/30/08 12:41 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Every surgeon is different. You need to follow the rules of your program. I personally don't restrict caffeine with my clients (unless they drink an excessive amount). You may want to consider double checking with your surgeon, but really, you don't want to start off by breaking his or her rules -- it can make for a difficult relationship in the future. So, double check with your doctor - but if he or she continues to say "no chocolate", then, you're going to have to drink the vanilla. Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
kimac61
on 2/2/08 12:18 pm - Cranston, RI
I thought that cafeine makes you hungry?

Kim

NO LONGER OVERWEIGHT!

stitch0102
on 1/30/08 9:59 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
I finally have to voice my opinion.  I've read so much about people watching every little calorie and ingredient.  Yes, we do need to be careful of some things but we're also being too picky in my opinion.   We have to eat. 

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Most Active