I need protein help!

sara34
on 1/28/08 9:39 am - Portsmouth, RI
I had my RNY last Tuesday. I came home on Thursday and have quickly realized that I have a new full time job dealing with fluid and protein intake. I feel GREAT!!! I went for a very long walk today and have been taking it easy around the house. I take my vitamin, my actigall, and my lovenox shot at 8 AM. I drink 10 oz of fluid before 8:30. Then I wait and have been trying to get some form of protein in such as pureed eggs or beans. Then the drinking continues and I wait until a small snack and then drinking and then a stop drinking a half and hour before lunch. Anyway...you see the pattern. I am definitely more focused on getting in my fluids ( at least 65 oz) since I have only been home for four days, but how does one go about getting in 80 grams of protein in the 1 oz pouch that I have and am only allowed to use for three meals a day. I am so lost.
sarard
on 1/28/08 2:28 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I'm happy that you are doing your best to get your protein in. That tells me that you've learned how to eat after surgery. Good for you. However, the fact of the matter remains that you are 4 days post op. It's going to be VERY hard to get in teh protein right now. You're right to make your priority fluid. Are you using a protein shake? Protein shakes count for both fluid and protein. Try to add in protein shakes if you are not, make your meals protein : canned fish, canned chicken (only because it's soft & you are a new post-op). Try cottage cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs. Consider adding a protein powder (like beneprotein or something similar) to your food for an added boost of protein. ** Of course, as long as your surgeon allows these foods**. Make sugar free pudding with non-fat milk & add some protein powder to that .... do your best to get the protein in, but if you are under 80 grams - don't stress yourself out. This will get easier for you when your diet advances to the next stages. I'm glad you set some good goals on fluid & protein for yourself. Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
vickinicole
on 1/30/08 1:03 pm - Bryan, TX
I went to see the dietician at Scottsdale Bariatric Center Monday, she recommended; Nature's Best® Isopure Zero Carb  protien drinks. They have 40 carbs per serving. Kinda expensive at $35 for a 12 pack but if you drink 1 a day that's half your daily protein intake right there.

~_~
Vicki
My weight loss blog: www.vickionline.com

Michelle I.
on 2/2/08 1:18 pm - VSG-1/6/14, CA
I did notice that the protein out there (higher protein levels) is not cheap! I tried the ProFect bullets and I paid 17.95 for 4 tubes. Needless to say, I won't be trying them again and not because they tasted bad it just cost so much and I myself am a cash patient so I will be paying for the surgery over the next four years! lol....But it will be worth it I'm sure.
Most Active