vitamin help

jonesie4ever
on 1/27/08 12:56 am
I am new to this board so if you guys have gone over this before, please forgive me for asking again.  I had RNY on 5-4-07.  I've lost 95 pounds, which is awesome, but as usual, when comparing with others, some people have lost a lot more.  My nutritionlist says my weight loss slows at times because I am not eating enough and because I do not get enough protein and vitamins.   I'm a lot more aware of my protein in take now, plus I keep a journal to show her.  However, my I'm having a real problems with vitamins.  She thinks that I need to take a vitamin specifically for bariactric patients.  Does anyone here take those kind of vitamins and know where I can get them?  She suggested doctorsbrand online, but I was hoping that I could go to a vitamin shoppe or a health food store to get some to take. Any help is appreciated.   Thanks,  Toni
DanielleH_RD
on 1/27/08 4:48 am - CA

Everyone is different - don't spend too much time comparing yourself to others.  This is YOUR journey! If your RD suggests bariatric vitamins, then why not take them?  You can piece together the individual nutrients by using multiple products.  If you choose to go that route, ask your RD for a list of the vitamins, and quantities, they would like you to use.

If you want to look at vitamins that others use, take a look at the product reviews by clicking on the links on the left hand side of the page.

Good Luck!

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

jonesie4ever
on 1/27/08 8:24 am
Hi Danielle,  Thanks for replying.  I really appreciate it.  The ones she suggested are a little expensive.  $30.00 for a month's supply, but it that's what I need, then so be it.  I know a lot of people in my WL support group take Flintstone vitamins, but my RD absolutely forbid me to take Flintstone vitamins.  She says they are for kids.  Just thought I'd check with everyone here.  Thanks again.  Toni
melissa1973
on 2/1/08 12:19 am - CT
I think Flinstones are ridiculous too, we're not kids. But that's just my opinion. I've done a lot of research online and at OH and what I currently take daily is: Caltrate 2x a day 4 hrs apart from any iron (which is calcium citrate, I have researched that citrate is better absorbed in bypass patients compared to carbonate like found in Tums and Viactiv) 1 iron, I take Tender iron fe (again read this is better absorbed than regular ferrous iron) 1 Centrum chewable 1 super B complex 1 B1 1 sublingual B12 I can't afford any expensive online stuff, the ingredients in what I take seem to be the exact same ingredients and dosages as the ones on the bariatric websites so I buy from the store for 1/2 the price. Btw, I take my B vits every day because my feet went numb for 2 mos due to a B1 deficiency, so I'm careful with my B's now. I just added iron recently from reading about how many people were getting terrible iron deficencies even taking a daily multi. Again, this is what I do for ME, others may need a different regimen for their own needs. Do lots of research. I personally feel that some people need much more supplementation than their surgeons are suggesting.
339 / 151 / 155?   day of surgery / current weight / goal weight
190 lbs lost
View my profile to see my weekly stats.
jonesie4ever
on 2/1/08 4:35 am
Thank-you so much Melissa for responding.  This helps me out a great deal.  Toni
Most Active