am i beyond hope

MandyMae
on 1/26/08 9:16 am - Mineral, VA
hi,  my surgery was nearly 3 years ago.  i have lost only 72 pounds.  my doctor was great but the nutritional support was not there so i didn't get off to a good start.  unfortunatley i've slipped back into some bad habits and am afraid that i've ruined my pouch.  it seems as if i can eat anything and everything.  am i beyond hope?  can i lose weight?  i'm so discouraged and depressed about my failure at having WLS.  it seems as if it works for everyone but me.  i know it's my fault.  guess i just need a friend. mandy
sarard
on 1/27/08 3:28 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I have good news! YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT! What kind of surgery did you have? Did you receive any nutritional information at all? Have you slipped into many bad habits, or just a few? YOU ARE NOT BEYOND HOPE! YOU CAN DO THIS! You've made a fantastic first step, and that's asking for help & getting support. There are many, many awesome post-op & pre-op people on this board that will help you (I hope!). You just need to get back on track. Start by looking at your bad habits and make the decision to KICK THEM! First kick your bad habits and then work your way into a healthy lifestyle. In addition to support on this board, you may want to consider seeking the advice of a dietitian to get a solid background and support from a professional in the field. You surgeon may be able to guide you to a dietitian, or you can check the ADA's website (www.eatright.org) to find one in your area, or check out some of the on-line dietitian services. In any event, YOU ARE NOT BEYOND HOPE & YOU CAN DO THIS - !!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
donbobmc
on 1/31/08 1:48 am - Mechanicsville, MD
I too feel like a big failure!! I had surgery in August of 2006 and have lost only 45 pounds to date.  I should have lost way more by now.  I am trying so hard to get back on track, but seem to be having the most trouble with "head hunger" I am my own worst enemy.  I feel like I don't deserve to lose weight and get fit because I'm not worthy. beginning 238.50 current 193.50
  No Choice
Suzette B.
on 1/31/08 2:14 am
My heart goes out to you. Of course you're worthy!!  I try to live by these words: "There's no such thing as failure...only learning."  What can you learn from your "head hunger?"  You can never get enough of what you really don't need.  What are you really in need of when you're eating? Think of all the times you eat in response to "head hunger" as opportunities to try to figure it out! Hang in there and believe in yourself. Sending you good vibes through the internet waves....
Suzette Kroll-Barancik, RD
Your Personal Nutrition Guide
Suzette B.
on 1/31/08 2:19 am
You're not beyond hope and you CAN do this!! Congrats on the 72 pound weight loss...I wouldn't call that a failure!  What kind of nutritional support do you think would help you at this point?
Suzette Kroll-Barancik, RD
Your Personal Nutrition Guide
Most Active