Not enough protein or calories

ckin
on 1/24/08 8:04 am
Hi, I had surgery on 1/3/08 and have lost 41lbs.  I can keep down water, but not 64oz.  I still am eating the full liquid diet. I cannot find a protein shake I can tolerate.  I know that when I can eat solids I will be able to find protein bars, but until then...    How long can I go without or with minimal protein before terrible things start happening to me?    Carolyn
LadyHusker814
on 1/24/08 10:37 pm - Omaha, NE
Carolyn - I'm not a nutritionist, but I have similar problems with protein shakes.  I was finally able to find something that agreed with me so I'm sticking with it.  I use SF Carnation Instant Breakfast drink with skim milk.  Not near the mega amounts of protein, but enough for me during liquids, especially if you drink 5-6 per day.  (P.S. you can buy it in a variety of flavors and also in ready to drink if you go to their website).  Good luck!
Jen
Highest-282/Surgery-275/Current-233/Goal-150
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10
01mommy
on 1/24/08 10:52 pm
Fraggle Rock rocks!!!  I had the same problem post-op...lo-carb SlimFast did the tric****il they changed the recipe and I couldn't keep that down either.  I drink Syntrax Nectar shakes.  They mix super easy with water and aren't thick or gritty at all.  I get mine from the local Vitamin Shoppe, but GNC or some other place may have them to.  With losing like you are now, low protein could lead to muscle wasting pretty quick so I wouldn't fool around with it.  Wasting makes you flabby and decreases your metabolism because you're losing lean tissue that burns calories.  Terrible is relative to some degree, but I'm sure you don't want to slow up your loss this early in the game...you're doing great!
218/135/143/130
Pre-op/Lowest/Current/Goal

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/08 12:04 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I couldn't stand the regular protein drinks either, so drank the No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast instead.  I added some non-fat powdered milk to bump up the protein.  During the first 6-8 weeks after surgery, I only averaged about 30 grams of protein a day.  But after I was able to move to pureed then soft foods, my protein intake went up to 60 grams pretty quickly.  There shouldn't be any long-term harm from getting less protein than suggested for a relatively short period of time.   Good luck on your continuing journey - it's a wild ride... Kellie
robin1960
on 1/25/08 4:08 am - East Stone Gap, VA
Hello!! Let me tell you a product I found for thoe protein drinks---Beneprotein!  Walgreens sells it.   This stuff is truly tasteless.   Here is my "recipe" to a protein drink: 2 scoops Beneprotein (each scoop has 6 grams protein) 8oz. 1% milk Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (Hershees makes it but I use Sams Brand) Results?  An 8 oz. glass of chocolate milk that tastes great!!  And the best news is each one has 20 grams protein!!!   I would drink three in-between my "liquid meals".  That would give me 60 grams of protein a day!! I don't have a Walgreens close so I don't know if they sell it in the stores.  I bought mine on their on-line store.   Hope this helps and good luck!! Robin
Karen S.
on 1/30/08 4:31 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Hi, I also had a hard time finding a protein shake that I could tolerate and tasted good...Elaine on this website wrote to me and told me about Isopure (no carb) creamy vanilla at GNC. Watch for the sales on Isopure. I tried it, a little pricey, but it works for me.  I mix it with 1/4-1/2 cup of 1% milk, 1 tsp. banana extract, 1/2 banana, and some crushed ice; I have a magic bullet that I mix it up in.  It comes out to about 56 grams of protein per shake; my NUT suggested that I break it in to 2 shakes rather than the one so as not to dump so much protein on my kidneys at once.   So, I have gone to 1/4 cup 1% milk; 1/2 tsp banana extract; 1/4 banana; crushed ice and mix; one in the morning and one at night.  It really does taste good. I have also mixed it with 1/2 tsp of chocolate quick; and cherry extract (same milk and ice) this also taste good, almost like a chocolate covered cherry. I have also mixed it with 1/2 tsp of strawberry quick; 1/2 tsp of banana extract; (same ice and milk) also yummy. I guess there are many different ways you could mix it up but the end result is I get my protein in each day. Hope this helps.  Karen Schworm

Most Active