protein pills??

JACKIESMOM
on 1/23/08 11:46 am - FL
i just saw these protein  pills made from soy. they have chewables or tablets. does anyone know about these and are they nutritionally any good for you? i am a vegeatarian and having a tough time getting in enough protein, i get around 75 a day (60 from shakes)but my bloddwork showed my protein was low.. i dont know what else to do to get in more protein!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/08 10:13 pm
Good Morning, Jackie  Protein pills are not worth bothering with, in my opinion. You have to take SO many of them for it to be worth it. Say, if the serving size was 6 pills a day....there would be only 7 or so grams of protein in them. (the same as an egg or a small chunk of cheese) So you would have to swallow 30 of those huge horsepills, just make up 30 grams of protein.....not worth the money and hassle, in my opinion. (besides, they always get "stuck", they are huge!!)  Liquid protein is the same way. ( not enough protein in it) And generally tastes like !!  After three and a half years, I still stick to protein shakes, twice daily. If I were you, I would find a flavor and brand you like and stick with it. I like Fuzzy Navel by Syntrax. I mix it with Crystal Light for added flavor, without it, it tastes too watery. Or if you're a chocolate and vanilla girl, find a brand you like and mix it with non-fat milk. In any case, I would stick with the shakes twice a day and not waste your money on the pills.  Vitamin Shoppe carries a lot of different kinds of soy protein powders, just in case you can't have a whey protein isolate, being a vegetarian and all. Just read your labels. And if you can't stomach something you bought, keep your receipt and bring it back. They will exchange it for you, for something else. I know this, cause I work there.....Vitamin Shoppe is really good to WLS people....  Hope this helps!  
WannaBThin4OnceInM
yLife

on 1/26/08 9:19 am - Delaware County, PA
Lyn, are you tellingme that after 3and a half years you are still on protein liquads?   I would have thought by then that part would have been long over, i am new and not a date yet but in pre testing stages but that scared me as I do not want to be off foods for the rest of my life??????????? So I am just asking hope not to bother you.  I also been just reading around about the protein drinks to get and what others have foudn to their likings and where to get them...is there a web site for the vitamin shop? Thanks Donna

About to enjoy the first day of the rest of my life!

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/08 10:44 am
Yep, after 3 and a half years I still drink 2 protein shakes a day. But I eat as well, usually 3 small meals and maybe a small snack or two. Keep in mind, these are small portions and probably total 1200 to 1500 calories a day for all food and drinks. So yes, I still enjoy eating, (I go out to eat too!) but I just enjoy it with smaller portions and healthier choices! Hope this helps! PS- Here's the link to the Vitamin Shoppe website. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com.  
chance
on 1/27/08 9:36 am
Lyn,  It seems like those who stay with a protein drink at least once a day long term are the most successful - I just read your blog and sounds like you are doing pretty well 3+ years out! Thank you for sharing! Jenn
Pre Surgery Weight 272
Goal 150
Current Weight 135
DanielleH_RD
on 1/27/08 5:08 am - CA
Just a tidbit... Your protein levels (total protein and albumin) may be low for a number of reasons, including the fact that you recently had surgery. It takes 45-60 days for albumin to show significant changes.  Be patient and remember that labs are only part of the equation.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active