Too much protein?

Susan O.
on 1/23/08 2:37 pm - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new, and am having a very hard time figuring out the posting system on this site, let alone finding any archives!  So, the question is, "Can a person who has had a proximal RNY get too much protein?" A well-meaning person is telling me if I get more than 70 grams my kidneys will shut down...   I have always been worried that I am not getting enough at the 60-90 a day I currently get as my prealbumin is 17. Please help! Thanks! Susu
sarard
on 1/24/08 1:20 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Can you eat too much protein -- sure, anything is possible, I guess. But if you don't have kidney failure now, you won't get it from eating protein. When someone already has kidney failure then we restrict protein, but stating that protein CAUSES kidney failure is just not true. If you eat too much protein -- just like if you eat too much of anything, the excess calories will be stored as fat. A prealbumin of 17 is normal - so by eating 60-90 g per day seems like it's working for you. If you want to be absolutely sure, you will need to have a nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian to determine your calorie and protein needs.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active