Confused about Supplements

D. Watkins
on 1/20/08 6:03 am - TX

I need some help here because my surgeon and nut do not seem to agree on anything and now I am just confused. My surgeon wants me to take 4 Tums a day for calcium and 2 multivitamins (Flintstones Complete or Centrum A thru Z w/ extra Iron, which I have yet to find) and a B12 shot once per month.  The first nut wanted me on Citrate w/ D. The new one said I could take Caltrate or OsCal.  When I told my surgeon this he said "No".  See where I am confused? When I tell people I am taking the Tums for my Calcium, they are like "huh?" I guess my question is am I getting the right amount of Calcium and do I really need the extra Iron? I'd appreciate any input on this. Thank you.

Losing weight in 2008!
chance
on 1/21/08 2:19 am
I think I would be up front with both and let them know you are getting conflicting information.    There is variation with all of us, but here is what I take.  3 Flintstone Complete daily  4 Calcium Citrate - I like the Bariatric Cinnamon lozenge daily****not within 2 hours of taking the Flintstone as the iron and calcium cancel each other out. 3 Omega 3 Complex (fish oil) daily 1 Probiotic (optional) daily B1 - 1x per week B12 - 2x per week
Pre Surgery Weight 272
Goal 150
Current Weight 135
Lori C.
on 1/21/08 5:23 am - Smyrna, DE
Thanks for the info.
D. Watkins
on 1/21/08 10:59 am - TX
Thank you for the reply Chance. I don't see my surgeon again until March. I might talk with my PCP and see what she thinks. Thanks again.

Losing weight in 2008!
kleekelly
on 1/27/08 1:02 am - Hudson Falls, NY
I dont get my rny till next month, but here is what my nut and surgeon said... 2 flinstones a day Calcium Citrate (or CitraCal) + D 500 mg twice daily chelated iron daily vit B-12 sublingual 1,000mg daily beneprotein a scoop with every meal. Good luck!

Kristy 

Most Active