B12 Question

BossLadyN
on 1/17/08 9:35 am - Union, KY

I bought some sublingual B12 from the health food store and it's 5,000 mcg.  Not realizing my nutritionist has listed to take 1000 mcg daily.   Can I take the 5,000 mcg tabs twice a week instead of the 1,000 daily? I plan on asking her when she visits me in the hospital, but wanted to get a second opinion since I already forked out the money on the 5,000 mcgs. Thanks,

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Psalms 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God James 1:17  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights....    

to God be the Glory!

sarard
on 1/17/08 11:17 am, edited 1/17/08 11:18 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, you can. You can even take it once per week if you want. B12 is stored in your liver. The issue with B12 is that you need intrinsic factor for absorption, so it doesn't absorb when you swallow it, but as long as you're taking it sublingual, you should be fine. However, be sure your doc checks your labs for B12 & when you're ready to re-fill that bottle, you may want to buy the 1000 mcg dose. Just to follow their rules. In addition, with all that being said, B12 is non-toxic, so even if you take the 5000 mcg daily, it would be fine, just a little over-kill in my opinion.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
BossLadyN
on 1/17/08 12:06 pm - Union, KY
Thanks so much for the quick response.  I now feel like I didn' t waste my money!  I will be sure to mention it to my nutritionist when she comes to see me after surgery.   Have a great night.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Psalms 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God James 1:17  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights....    

to God be the Glory!

Most Active