I have a theory....

mariposah
on 1/17/08 6:54 am
regarding "Starvation Mode".  If it were true that eating way less than we need to, like 500-1000 calories would make us gain more weight, how do you explain starving people in countries who are famished?  Wouldn't they pass away fat? NOT that I'm saying I wanna eat 500 calories. Just food for thought
mariposah
on 1/17/08 6:56 am
Oh, and to add - Dont you think that since we were eating like 500 calories a day, at the most in our initial months, don't you think we would have lost weight a way slower speed?  Being that we would be in "starvation mode"?
sarard
on 1/17/08 11:28 am - Costa Mesa, CA
To be totally honest -- I wish I knew the answer to this. Here's the thing (as far as I know - but please correct me if I'm wrong): Starvation Mode is a theory. I think it's true for some, not all. In my practice, I've only noticed it really being an issue if someone is 'starving' for a lengthy time (>6 months). If I have a client who seems to be doing everything right - eating right & exercising & not losing weight -- I consider the possibility of starvation mode -- It seems logical to me that if the body is not accustom to getting enough calories, then it conserves calories. Just like my bank account --- when I'm not depositing much, I don't spend much. When I deposit a lot of money - I spend more. However, just like starvation mode theory - sometimes I spend when I don't have money & sometimes I save when I have a lot. So .... basically, I'm not answering your question at all. Sorry. But I don't know the answer. With my clients that are at a plateau - I give it shot. I bump up their calories and wait and see what happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I could be coincidence, or starvation mode could be a real-live thing. I don't know. But, I don't think anyone knows for sure. In any event, sorry I can't answer your question --- maybe one of my buddies with Enutritioncare.com can chime in to give their thoughts too ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Carrie665
on 1/29/08 10:03 pm - magnolia, DE
I am so glad for your honesty! I hit a plateu as well. I think that everyone does at one time or another.  I went to the forum and got an answer that seemed to work for me.  That is to switch it up.  I was excercising every day, hard and still not seeing the scale move.  I stopped excercising hard, and watched the scale drop!  I am going to walk for 2 days, then do my hard excercise for 2 and see what happens.  So far, in just a couple of weeks, I have lost 7 pounds where I havent lost a pound in over a month.  But (isnt there always just one?) my pants have gotten looser without loosing weight. Good luck to all of us! Carrie
Most Active