colon cleansers

kay2126
on 1/17/08 4:33 am - Shamokin, PA
has anyone tried a colon cleanser to jump start a plateau?
sarard
on 1/17/08 7:54 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I've not tried them, and I don't promote them. Just my two cents.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
MrsCogan
on 1/18/08 9:18 pm, edited 1/18/08 9:19 pm - OK
I think colon cleansers are a scam. Your colon isn't supposed to be clean. You have friendly bacteria in there that you need and you need to let them live happily unmolested. Plateaus are a pain you know where! Just keep exercising, eating right and be patient. A colon cleanse will not start weight loss and might hurt you. Ok, I'm opinionated. That's probably more than $.02 worth!
~ Stylz ~
on 1/19/08 1:02 am - North of Boston, MA
any "old school" nutritionist will tell you colon cleanses should be done 3 times a year.  Your colon shouldn't be "dirty" as mentioned by another poster...   Every time you have a bowel movement, there is a small amount of fecal matter left behind in your intestine...  think of a tube and one pebble left behind the first time you run something through it and the next time a second pebble is added, then a third, soon its doubled to 6, then 12 and so on causing more of a barrier leaving less room for fecal matter to get through each time. due to all of my low carb diet phases i went through pre-op, I caused problems with my bowels and had times I wouldn't go for 5-12 days (sorry if its tmi) I started a colon cleanse and did another one 6 months later and it got me back on track.  Obviously adding fiber to your diet will make you go more often but when your body gets use to doing one thing it can stay that way for a long time. this is the product I always use http://www.oxypowder.com/  I know many people who have taken it and have also recommend it. at this point in my life I still do colon cleanses and am now getting more fiber in to help keep me "regular".  all that being said.....  i wouldn't do a colon cleanse just to lose weight or stop a plateau. 

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

sarard
on 1/19/08 1:24 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
FYI - I am a dietitian - I work with about 20 different dietitians and know about 75 dietitians. NONE of them ever recommend colon cleansers. I highly disagree with the poster who said it's recommend 3 times per year. And, I highly doubt the information given to you by that poster was the advice of a dietitian.
Registered Dietitian
~ Stylz ~
on 1/20/08 8:42 am - North of Boston, MA
not sure how you feel you can say the advice I've given wasn't by a dietician since I don't know you.  furthermore I've talked to more than 1 nutritionist who has recommeneded cleansing and/or colonics not to mention 3 different homeopathic doctors who have been practicing since the 70's.... you're entitled to your opinion as i am, but again, you don't have a right to question who i've spoken to or what I mention that I've learned from different people.....

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

sarard
on 1/20/08 11:27 am, edited 1/20/08 11:28 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Look, I don't mean to offend, but I disagree with the advice you've given. I was under the impression the poster was looking for professional advice - which is what I was trying to give --I am a registered dietitian (very different than a nutritionist - by about 7 years of school and a license to practice). So, sorry - don't mean to offend you & what you heard or read -- but I'm here to give advice on what I've learned in my years of nutritional training & experience - not by what I heard or read ....
Registered Dietitian
Kimberly D.
on 1/22/08 11:58 pm - Rockville, MD
I just came across this post and thought I'd put my two cents in.   I am not a dietician nor a registered dietician, but what I have learned is that a colon cleanse can be VERY beneficial when used properly.  I read a post earlier that compares the colon to a tube with pebbles being passed through and having a few here and there that stays behind.  This is exactly what happens with the colon, especially when one doesn't eliminate on a regular basis (for example, if you eat three times a day, you shoud eliminate as often). Think of a baby and how they eat and poop, far before they're introduced to processed foods.   Whatever is not eliminated sits in your colon, putrified and "re-circulates" throughout your body.  This is why many with poor eating habits (sugar, processed foods, etc.) have problems with fatigue, arthritis, acne, etc, so I would never discourage someone from a colon cleanse.  Unfortunately, western practice tells us that's it's okay to go several days without eliminating, but the truth is, its not okay.   There is much info out there that speaks about compacted colons from years of neglect.  I would suggest anyone to explore the hollistic approach and getting educated about how the body is designed to work.  This post is not meant to offend anyone, professional or not, but the fact is a registered dietician was the one who instructed me to eat beans and rice just one week after having my DS surgery, so certification and school doesn't always mean one knows what's always best.
sarard
on 1/23/08 5:11 am - Costa Mesa, CA
There are many, many documented cases of people who have used colon cleansers and laxatives that develop a "lazy" colon. It can lead to chronic constipation. Excessive use of these products can be very, very dangerous. Everyone is free to make their own decisions on their health - but it's very important that they know the pros & cons of their actions. I by no means think that I know everything, but I strongly believe that excessive use of colon cleansers can be dangerous. Since I feel that it's dangerous, I guess I have to voice my opinion ... The information you've given on how the body processes waste is incorrect, but not significant to my point, so I'll leave it at that. Good luck to you (and your colon)! Have a good day.
Registered Dietitian
wendy_fou
on 1/23/08 1:18 am - AR
If your surgeon/doctor/NUT recommended using a colon cleanser because you are having colon issues, then I'd do it.   HOWEVER, using a colon cleanser to "jump start a plateau" is dangerous thinking to me and is no healthier than using laxatives to "jupm start a plateau".   A dirty colon is not what is causing your plateau.  Your body NEEDS to plateau during such rapid weight loss to give your internal organs time to adjust.  Don't cheat your heart/lungs/kidneys/etc out of their adjustment time.   Do NOT take laxatives or colon cleansers just to loose weight faster or jump start weight loss.  That is abusing these medications since that is NOT what they are for.   Please call your surgeon or your NUT and tell them you were contemplating this.  It may be an early sign of an eating disorder.  (Some anorexics use colon cleansers or laxatives to promote weight loss.)  I am just worried about you.  Please keep us updated. 
Most Active