WHICH FOODS SHOULD I STAY AWAY FROM?

Diva M.
on 1/16/08 9:42 am - VI

I AM HAVING "THE SLEEVE" NEXT MONTH AND I WANT TO KNOW WHICH FOODS SHOULD I DEFINITLY STAY FAR AWAY FROM. I have heard things like drinking soda cause you stomach to stretch etc. I dont know which things to take seriously or not?

sarard
on 1/17/08 8:08 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Did you have a nutrition class? Has your surgeon given you a hand out about post-operative eating? Are you looking for the full dietary guidelines or just advice from people who have had VSG?
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
amoon_2008
on 1/20/08 5:26 am
Hi Myoa, I noticed you're from my homestate, Louisiana! I know it's hard to stay away from the food, but I try to think about the food I can have. I had surgery on December 10th and I have worked my way up to a few things. I am about six weeks post surgery and am able to eat baked/broiled chicken and tuna. I have been told I can try shrimp but it I would have to chew it very well. I am also able to eat salad and I was told I can try fruit, but to stay away from the acidic fruit. I have not tried any fruit as of yet. I don't drink alot of soda. I've only tried soda twice and it was a very flat soda. The thing to remember is everybody's body is different and people tolerate different things. For example, I still cannot tolerate rice. I guess I will not gumbo any time soon!!! However, I can tolerate macaroni and cheese but the noodles have to be slightly overcooked. Another example is that I can eat peas and can sometimes tolerate canned greens. I understand how you feel because soda is one of my biggest downfalls, but so far, I'm doing pretty well with staying away from it. I've found other alternatives such as Arizona Diet tea and I'm going to try the Lipton Diet Green tea. The carbonation in the sodas will cause you a problem from what I've been told. Good luck!
Most Active