Feeling like I am wasting away

leximiller
on 1/16/08 9:20 am - Cary, NC
I had surgery May 12th, 2005. I was 251 at my highest. Now, I am at the other end. My weight flucuates between 113 and 123.I am a size3-4. I am not really hungry very much. According to my blood work, my iron is low, but not too low. My B-12 is within normal limits. But, I don't even want to get out of bed anymore. The whole reason I had this surgery was to have a better life and to be active for my kids.  I have been living like this for about a year now and I just can't take it anymore. I am unable to gain any substantial weight. I am losing muscle and I am sure it is affecting my bones.  I just need some help or advice from someone who knows about the surgery. Thank you in advance! Alexis
sarard
on 1/16/08 1:10 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Alexis, Malnutrition can be a cycle - the less you eat, the less you want to eat, the less you have energy to eat -- causing you to eat even less .... You need to WORK at eating and getting in the calories. Prior to surgery it was likely difficult to diet - now it's difficult to eat. However, just like you said, you did this to be healthier and have more energy, not less. You need to be sure you are eating adequate nutrition. This may mean that you have to plan and schedule your meals because your urge to eat and hunger isn't there for you anymore to remind you to eat. Try to get 8 hours of sleep at night, try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. Schedule 3 meals each day and 2 snacks. Keep up with your vitamins (multivitamin, iron, calcium, B12, B-complex), be sure to drink 64-80 oz of fluid each day. Try to get in AT LEAST 1200 calories each day. When your caloric intake is around 1200 or so, make sure you are getting 20-30 minutes of exercise each day (5 times per week). Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
leximiller
on 1/17/08 4:22 am - Cary, NC
Thank you very much for your help. I will definitely try some of these things. Thanks, Alexis
Sandra P.
on 3/19/08 10:52 am - Canton, MI

Oh, how I know so much of what you are going through.  I started out pre-op 316lbs. and withered to 125lbs. in under 1 year. So week and malnourished I thought I would pass away in my sleep. As odd as this sounds, my life changed for the sooooo much better when as a 20 year Vegetarian who at this point was so depressed with NO appetite , I gave in to my cravings and a co worker grilled up some salmon, sat with me till I ate a portion. After that afternoon I ate fish ( salmon,tuna, smoked any etc....) everyday. My whole disposition and personality changed, I had an appetite. Started trying new foods. I also discovered that I am Gluten Sensetive.....no more wheat that made a huge difference as well.. sorry for the ramble, I know how awful you feel right now.....I was very hopelrss till that day. Deal with chronic anemia at thus time...but I can and want to eat and I pray that for you.....May this help a bit.....Baby Steps Always

Most Active