Food Measuring Question...

Brandi F.
on 1/15/08 9:48 pm - Hamburg, PA
I'm finally starting to journal what I eat and how many calories I'm eating and all that...so now I'm wondering: Do I have to buy a food scale, or can I know how many ounces of something I'm eating by using measuring cups? If I eat a quarter cup of chicken...is that 2 ounces? HELP!   :)

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/08 11:57 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Volume measurements are not the same as weight measurements, so having the scale will really help with measuring proteins.  I had a food scale at home before my surgery, so I continued to use it after my surgery.  I weighed my meats for a while, and still do sometimes to make sure my "eyeballing" is still accurate.  For me, I found the food scale valuable and would encourage you to buy one -- they aren't particularly expensive.  I still measure things like milk, cottage cheese and certain starchy vegetables (peas, corn) because I know I tend to underestimate how much I'm doling out into my cup/bowl/plate.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
Brandi F.
on 1/16/08 2:40 am - Hamburg, PA
Hi, Kellie... Thanks for the info. I'll have to get a food scale when I go to Wal-Mart on Monday!!

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

01mommy
on 1/16/08 10:11 am
While a scale is certainly valuable, especially for meats, my nut recommends volume as opposed to weight because she recommends meals no larger than 1/2 cup at a time for post-ops to maintain loss.  I journal as well and I typically weigh 3oz of my meats first, then add a tablespoon or two of my sides to meet that requirement.
Brandi F.
on 1/16/08 2:00 pm - Hamburg, PA

I don't eat more than a half a cup at a time either. I'm just unsure of what an ounce of meat looks like so I better get a scale.

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

Most Active