Protein bars

suz1015
on 1/14/08 4:09 am
Hello all, Just wondering if anyone is eating protein bars as a protein supplement. If so, what brand? I just started looking and all seem to be very high in sugar / sugar alcohols. I did find a low sugar version by Detour, and it looks like it would be a good choice for supplementing. Any thoughts or input??  Thanks.
Pielet
on 1/14/08 10:01 am - White Plains, NY
VSG on 07/23/07 with
Hi there,

I'm not sure what you consider high in sugar alcohol, but I use Slimfast High Protein meal bars (15 g protein, 190-200 cals, 6-7 g fat, and 8-18 g sugar) and Pure Protein (20 g protein, 190 calories, 6 g fat, sugars 2 g, sugar alcohol 6 g),

Hope this helps!

(10 lbs. lost pre-op)

"Many a false step was made by standing still."
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/08 12:20 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
RNY on 07/11/07 with
I bought Premier Protein bars at Costco: 290 calories, Total fat 9 g, Sugars 9g, Protein 30 g They taste good (almost too good).  Makes me feel like i'm eating a candy bar.   I think they may be o.k. in a pinch, but too many calories & too much fat to use on a regular basis.   I feel much better when I eat fish, chicken, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.
Kathy C
on 1/14/08 7:44 pm
I like the Atkins ones. They taste yummy and dont mess with my blood sugar. Most have 15g of protein.

@----}-------

345/195/165

Anchor cut Tummy Tuck
with
muscle tightening 6/20/07

wendy_fou
on 1/15/08 9:51 am - AR
Ditto here on the Atkins!  I love the taste of of Atkins Advantage Morning Peanut Butter Crisp bars (but can't eat them because they upset my tummy)!   It is hard to find an actual GOOD, HEALTHY meal replacement bar.  Most are WAY too high in carbs or fat and especially SUGAR.   4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar So anything over 4 grams of sugar starts making me think more "glorified candy bar" than actual nutrtion/protein bar!   (The Atkins bars I mentioned above have only 1 gram of sugar and it is not "added" - but naturally occurring.)
Kahlua
on 1/15/08 9:12 am - NJ
Detour bars are good and that is one of the ones I chose when I was reading labels. They come in 2 sizes, so try to find the smaller ones or split the bigger ones over 2 meals. I don't know the size info right now b/c I'm out of them, but I know Vitamin Shoppe sells the larger ones. I also like Luna bars, depending on the flavor. Good luck, Kahlua
suz1015
on 1/15/08 9:22 pm
Thank you all so much for your replys. All are very helpful!
Most Active