steel cut oats

~ Stylz ~
on 1/13/08 11:49 pm - North of Boston, MA
anyone know the cooked serving size of cooked steel cut oats?  Most recipes call for 1c steel cut oats, 4 cups water = 4 servings, but I haven't found the actual measurement of 1 serving.  would it be 1 cup?

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

MelaniaB_RD
on 1/14/08 9:03 am, edited 1/14/08 9:04 am - Costa Mesa, CA
A serving of any type of oatmeal is usually 1/2 cup cooked.  When I cook one serving of old-fashioned oats I simply follow the directions on the box which will yield 1/2 cup of cooked oats (if my memory serves me, it is 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup water). For your steel cut oats using the proportions that you listed above, I would use 1/4 cup of oats and 1 cup of water for one serving of steel cut oatmeal.  Hope that helps!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
~ Stylz ~
on 1/14/08 9:26 am - North of Boston, MA
I was actually looking for the COOKED measurement it seems no ones found it even after doing a google search.. obviously i know quartering the recipe (1c=1/4c oats, 4c=1c water) would be a serving, but when you cook it as a larger recipe and divide it into individual bowls, it would be easy to use a measuring cup and do so.  I'll figure it out this weekend.. thanks for your input

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Purple Passion
on 1/15/08 3:42 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
She did say that the serving for most oatmeal is 1/2 cup cooked.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

Most Active