Vitams for hair loss

DixieDarling
on 1/12/08 3:32 pm - Douglasville, GA
My RNY is scheduled for Feb 6.  Sometimes after surgery, there is some hair loss.  My problem is that I already have fine, thin hair and the same for nails.  So, even though I will be taking the multi-vitamin, should I also take one formulated for hair, skin and nails? 
spammers_die_now
on 1/13/08 5:54 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Have you had your pre-surgery dietary classes?  I would use the multivamin and other supplements that they recommend, religiously.  In addition to these, it is critically important to maintain a high level of protein consumption.  I had the lap band, but hair loss is still a concern.  I made sure that I took my chewable multivitamin and calcium supplements, and documented every gram of protein that I ate to be sure it was enough every single day.  You'll need extra protein to heal after the surgery for several weeks, then just a bit less to maintain your body and hair.  If you don't get enough protein, you will lose hair and you will have trouble losing weight.  My hair looks better now than before surgery because I'm less stressed and eating better.  Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/08 9:49 pm, edited 1/13/08 9:50 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Biotin 5000 mcg / 1 per day.  Thats what my surgeon puts his patients on for hair, skin, nails.  Also, keep your protein up and iron level normal.  I found it at walmart in the USA but I am sure you can buy it in canada.  I am three months out and havent lost one hair on my head yet. Then you should be good!! Corinne

shezzzy
on 1/16/08 1:31 am
Hi! I am 13 month post op with lapband. I, too, have very thin, straight, "crappy" hair. I have been taking L-Cystene and find that my hair is a bit better. To be honest with you, I don't think it will ever be better, but this has sure helped alot. Also, I've been using volumizing and strengthening hair products. But, the L-Cystene seems to be working for me and my friend who has lost more hair than I.
Carrie665
on 1/29/08 10:17 pm - magnolia, DE
Best of luck with your surgery!  I have fine hair but  tons of it!  Its straight and shiny and I lost a huge amount of it!  Clogging the shower drain daily and on top of that I have gray hair and color it every 6 weeks or less which had more than usual fall out.  I had terrible trouble with getting enough protein at first.  The liquid diet portion of the recovery was difficult since all the protein powders, liquids, etc just made me sick to smell them.......then, I didnt have the right vitamines at first.  You are doing the right things right now!  I should have found the right vitamins before surgery, I should have tried all the different proteins before......I trusted my doctor (very foolish).  I started to loose my hair about 4 months out.  I am 8 months now and my hair is doing wonderfully!  Probably better than before.  I never see more than a couple of hairs go down the drain....I am fortunate that I had lots to begin with, but my thoughts for you is that you are on top of it and that  the worst case senario is that it will grow back and chances are that you will take care of yourself much better after the surgery than you did before.  I also had hair loss after my boys were born.  It happens.  Believe me you will enjoy the weight loss so much more than watching your hair fall out!  Its a small amout of time in the overall scheme of things.  You will be beautiful!!! Carrie
Most Active