For Nut. as well as others... Question...

mariposah
on 1/12/08 9:03 am

If you had to choose one aspect to your weight loss/weight maintenance:

Portion control OR cutting carbs?

Just wanna get some input

wendy_fou
on 1/12/08 10:01 am - AR

My surgeon advises portion control.  He has a wonderful track record, and that's why I gave him the big $$$$.  So I'm going to listen to him.  (I had my turn trying to do things MY way for 33 years with no success.  I'm ready to give his way a shot as long as it continues working so well for me.) As far as guidelines regarding carbs, I received none.  I am "through" all the "stages" and on his "from now on" or "forever" "diet".  I was told (and I do) eat 6 tablespoons per meal, 3 x per day.  I was told (and I try to) have 1 snack daily (also no larger than 6 tablespoons).   As far as nutritional make-up of each meal, the only guidelines I was given are daily totals with regards to calories and percentage fat.  I was told (and I do) stay between 600-700 calories per day.  I was told (and always try, but sometimes I am too low) to stay between 20-30% of calories from fat.  I was told (and I do) stay at or above 60 grams of protein per day.     Because I have read many times that ingesting too many carbs can slow and even stop weight loss (especially in carb sensitive individuals), I have made the decision on my own to try to limit my carbs to no more than 30.  (Although I do go up to 35 fairly regularly.  I don't go into crisis mode or anything when I go up to 35 though since I've imposed that limit on myself.) I know that didn't really answer your question.  I just felt like replying.  LOL I guess if I had to pick, I'd pick portion control - assuming you incorporated a protein goal and % calories from fat goal as well.  That alone would impose it's own limit on the amount of carbs you could consume. 

Becky517
on 1/12/08 11:22 am - TX
I like both together - low carb small portions.  You can do low carb with no portion limits and you will gain weight.  I am 4 years post op - my pouch holds 3-5 oz depending on consistency of the food.  I just completed the 5 day pouch test b/c i had a 20lb gain and want to correct that asap.  So, for me, limit portions to 3oz meat with some veggies, I try to do 100g protein, 30 g carbs 100 oz water - did that on the 5 day pouch test last week, dropped 10.2 lb and feel like my pouch is new again and like I have some control back - hope that helps.
sarard
on 1/12/08 2:11 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
My vote is PORTION CONTROL. I'm not on the low/no carb ban-wagon.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
mariposah
on 1/13/08 12:33 am
Thank you! Nice to hear from a nutritionist!
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/08 10:31 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

For me, it depends.  I tend to lose better when I exercise more and I eat more good carbs on the days when I exercise.  If I eat the same number of carbs on a non-exercise day, I tend to maintain or gain a little bit.   I think portion control will always be important for me.  I'm 2+ years out and can eat a lot more than I could even a year ago.  But I can also be satisfied with smaller portions.  In other words, I can eat more but I don't need to!  So I continue to measure and weigh things, and I track my food intake on a daily basis.  I had serious portion control issues before surgery, so this is an ongoing issue for ue.   Good luck on your continuing journey - Kellie

DanielleH_RD
on 1/14/08 10:54 am - CA
Absolutely portion control - I really don't understand the carb haters!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Musicmama88
on 1/15/08 1:21 am - Danville, IN
I dont think its an issue of being a carb hater,,its that some people are more carb sensitive, like me, If I eat carbs, I want more carbs. However, I follow the south Beach diet idea of good carbs versus bad carbs. Some carbs effect my insulin  more than others,,,I dont hate carbs, I LOVE carbs, and thats the problem. I eat more protein than anything,,and it works for me. Portion control is important too,,but I dont have a problem with that if I eat dense protein, It all works together, Blessings Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

opey9519
on 1/16/08 10:09 am - Blacklick, OH
I have been told most of the same things she said. Portion control...your surgeon or nutritionist should give you your goals for fat grams per meal as well as protein etc. All of the numbers that Wendy mentioned are pretty close to mine so if you don't have one, generically- there must be a reason ours are so similar.
Most Active