Low Iron/Protien

sammy2819
on 1/12/08 9:49 am - kalamazoo, MI
I had a gastric bypass august 21, 2007.  I have lost 62lbs and feel that I am doing well.  However my labs just came back with low iron and protein was slightly low.  Do you have any recomendations to get my iron up where it belongs.   My hair is also falling out.  Thank God I have allot to lose.  I am working on getting the protein in.  Would low iron cause this as well. Thanks  Amy

sarard
on 1/12/08 2:14 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Check the message board. There is a post about 4 below yours that is titled IRON HELP. Danielle has provided some excellent guidelines for iron. In addition, iron does not cause hair loss. That's likely from the low protein.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Starting Over
on 1/14/08 12:03 am
Did your surgeon put you on iron supplements? One month out my surgeon required iron supplements, so I take Vitron-C. Ask your surgeon or nutritionist about that. Hair loss is probably due to low protein. I too am having problems getting enough protein. I have noticed a little bit of "shedding" so I'm trying to get my protein up. Whey bullets (42 grams of protein per 3 oz) are a great way to get all of your protein without a huge shake.
sammy2819
on 1/14/08 9:30 am - kalamazoo, MI
Thanks for the info.  I will look into that.  I think because I had the Gastric Sleeve they were not concerned about iron.   Thanks Amy
Most Active