Excessive Hair Loss at 14 Mos Post WLS

Cindy P.
on 1/12/08 12:41 am
Hi, All.  My husband, Ron, had wls in 11/06.  He went through a period of hair loss early on and then it subsided.  His hair has started thinning again (noticeably).  We've tried upping his protein but that doesn't seem to be helping.  I seem to recall reading something about people taking something for this -- biotine (sp?) or something like that.  Are you familiar with that?

Any thoughts     on what could be causing this problem and what can be done about it? 

Thanks in advance.

Cindy P.
Starting Over
on 1/14/08 12:05 am
I have heard alot of people recommend Biotin 1000/mcg. I would advise speaking to his surgeon before starting this though.
Ruth A.
on 1/15/08 5:01 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi I take Biotin tablets - they stopped my hair loss.  As soon as I stop taking it (like over Christmas when  went on vacation and didn't take it with me) the loss starts again.  I got home and have been taking it again and the loss stops.  I started out with veyr thin hair, so can't afford to lose any. From what I understand, the loss is due in part to the stress on the body from the surgery (this can happen from any surgery too) and in part to mal-nutrician.  But I dont' know that for sure and it may just be urban legend!!

Most Active