Iron help

I was anemic presurgery and am still anemic now. I take 2 of the 29 mg Bariatric Advantage chewable iron. I was unable to give blood the other day because my hemoglobin was too low. A couple months ago when I gave my hemoglobin was just around 12.5 what they say you have to have to give. My nutritionist is going to have my bloods drawn to see what my iron levels are now. At 6 months out they were low but she seemed unconcerned because Im on an iron suppliement. Im almost out of my current iron and would like to get an idea of what I could take that would be better absorbed. From what I have learned from my NUT your iron is higher in the am then the pm. Which would explain why come 4 in the afternoon I look and feel EXTREMELY fatigued. Any suggestions are welcome.

Melissa

DanielleH_RD
on 1/12/08 3:50 am - CA
You will probably need to remain on an iron supplement - the choice is yours depending on your tolerance of the product.  Many people prefer iron fumerate because it causes fewer GI problems, and many more people tolerate iron sulfate with no problem.  The type of iron is up to you, but there are a few things you can do to help absorption. 1. Don't take iron and calcium at the same time 2. Take 200 mg vitamin C or a vitamin C rich food at the same time as your iron 3. Don't drink coffee or tea within 30 minutes of taking iron 4. Meat protein helps the absorption of iron (in addition to being a source of iron) "Anemia" is a term that has multiple definitions and describes a number of conditions.  B12 and folate status can also cause anemia - so be sure you are treating your anemia the right way. (meaning, ask your PCP what kind of anemia you have) I hope this helps!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active