Calcium Intake

EJsMom_10
on 1/10/08 8:57 am - East Granby, CT
Does anyone know how much calcium we should be taking in each day?  My doc has me on calcium citrate lozenges, but I am having a lot of trouble getting them down (so gross!).  I am drinking milk every day and usually have yogurt and/or cheese.  According to FitDay I am geting my RDA of calcium.  But should I be taking in more than the RDA? Thanks!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/08 9:52 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Yes, you should be taking in more than the RDA of calcium because your body does not absorb it properly.  My nut recommends 2000 mg per day (I think RDA is 1000-1200, depending on your age).  I couldn't handle the calcium citrate lozenges either -- they were just gross.  I take the Citracal tablets, but I'm not sure if you're at a point where you can take those yet (the pills are pretty big).  They do sell a "petite" version of Citracal -- I think the pills are just smaller.   I also drink Propel with calcium - it's 20 calories per 16.9 oz. bottle and each bottle contains 20% of the daily RDA for calcium.  I try to drink 2-3 bottles per day, plus my Citracal, plus cottage cheese, 1% milk and yogurt.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
EJsMom_10
on 1/10/08 10:20 pm - East Granby, CT
Kellie -  Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I figured there was malabsorption and that I would need more than the RDA.  I searched online for an answer, but just couldn't find it.  I'm getting about 1500 a day without taking the lozenges.  I didn't know that Propel had a type with extra calium, so I'll definitely try that to boost my levels up. Thanks, again, for your help!
DanielleH_RD
on 1/11/08 7:45 am - CA
1800 is the RDA for women. Keep in mind that you need weight bearing exercise and vitamin D for maximum calcium absorption. Avoid iron and caffeine when you take calcium as they interfere with absorption. I agree that 2000mg is good - 2500 mg may be better. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

inofwls
on 1/11/08 5:06 pm
I agree with all poster that at minimal we should be taking 2000mg of calicum citrate a day, we have had wls that has a great malabsorption component.  Give Upcal D a try it is orderles and tasteless each scoop is 500mg calicum citrate and 250 iu of D3, it can be used in any liquid or soft food.  http://www.globalhp.com/UpCal_Slick.pdf -Maryama
Starting Over
on 1/14/08 12:08 am
One thing to remember though...it that you shouldn't take all of your calcium at the same time. According to my surgeon and nutritionist, your body can only absorb 500-600 mg of calcium at a time. So if you are taking alot of calcium...but at the same time, it's just a waste. So I take my calcium once in the morning, and once at night. hope this helps!
EJsMom_10
on 1/14/08 6:39 am - East Granby, CT
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that.  It looks like we're only a week apart in surgery dates.  How are you doing?
Starting Over
on 1/14/08 9:45 am
Hi! I feel great, and the ever growing pile of too-big clothes makes me feel even better! However I had my 2-month check up today and my surgeon wasn't super happy with me. I need to buckle down and get all of my meds in every day. How about you?
EJsMom_10
on 1/15/08 3:34 am - East Granby, CT
I feel great, too. It's funny when I try something on, thinking it will fit fine, and when I get it on it's way too big.  I have a pile as well.  I try not to buy too much new stuff since I know I will just go through that quickly.  I'm not always good about taking all of my vitamins, but I'm trying hard.  My doc will be doing bloodwork next month at my 3 month check up.  So we'll see then.  But other than that I'm great.  And I've been getting to the gym at least 3 times a week.
Most Active