confused!!!

wildrose021
on 1/10/08 2:55 pm - MN
I have been working out for a 1 1/2 weeks now doing  60 minutes on
the elliptical and my calories are 1400-1500 a day, I did an online
BMR thing and it came out to 1,992 calories a day but I havent lost
any weight not even a pound it has gone up 2 pounds, im looking to
lose 15-20 pounds, I dont know what im doing wrong , do you think
I should decrease my calories? any suggestions would be great !!! posted on the exercise/fitness board also just want to figure this out
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/08 9:45 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
A couple things.  First, our BMRs are very personal and the online guides aren't particularly accurate.  If you truly want an accurate BMR, you'd need to be tested by a company like New Leaf Fitness.  (I'm not a New Leaf rep, but I've had my BMR tested by them.)   Second, you may actually need to increase your calories.  Let's say your resting BMR is actually around 1,600, for purposes of an example.  If you're only eating 1400-1500 calories per day, your body doesn't think it's getting enough calories, so it's going to fight hard to hold on to it's extra stored energy (fat).  Combine that with your recent significant increase in energy expenditure through exercise, and your body is super confused about what's going on.   If you're resistant to adding 100-200 calories per day, then just keep doing what your doing now for 3-4 weeks and see what happens.  If your weight remains the same, even with the addition of the exercise, then try adding 100-200 calories per day and see what happens.  I'd bet that you'll start to lose...   I know, I know, I know it's counterintuitive that we sometimes need to eat more to lose weight, but this has happened to me, one of my co-workers who's not a WLS patient, and I've read many posts where other have had similar experiences... Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
DanielleH_RD
on 1/11/08 7:54 am - CA
You may also want to look at your fluid intake.  Gaining weight with exercise can happen if you are dehydrated.  With exercise you should drink more, urinate frequently, have relatively clear urine (except after your vitamins :).   Keep exercising - it will pay off!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active