PLEASE REPLY!!! PLEASE!

Iced Latte
on 1/10/08 11:04 am, edited 1/11/08 1:59 am - Northeastern, LA

An experienced RNYer posted this on the main board in answer to the question "how many calories should I be eating?"  It was her own fitday info she provided.

Post Date: 1/10/08 6:11 pm up to 4 months was on 400ish 4-6 months 600ish 6-8 months 800ish 8-10 1000ish 10-12 1200

This really blew me away.  There is NO WAY I could live on 600 calories a day.  I am eating healthy and nutritious...am getting 60-80 grams of protein a day, but am eating between 1000-1200 calories a day. No simple carbs.  I log everything that goes in to my mouth religiously.  I basically have three meals and two snacks.

I am losing.  Not as fast as I would like but still losing.  I am exercising moderately...not as much as I should be.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE REPLY.  Is 600 calories a day really a target for 4-6 months out???  I need to know.....maybe I need to really cut back????

Kathy C
on 1/10/08 7:37 pm
Yes this sounds like what my calories looked like the 1st year. The 1st year I dont remember ever having hunger, and eating 2-6 tsp 3x's a day it was easy to stay in that calorie range.

@----}-------

345/195/165

Anchor cut Tummy Tuck
with
muscle tightening 6/20/07

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/08 9:48 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I was eating about 1,100 calories per day at 6 months out, and at that point I could not have survived on 600 calories per day.  I was also working out 5-6 times per week at that point, so 600 calories per day just would not have cut it for me.  We're all slightly different, so go with what feels right for you and is in line with your nutritionist's recommendations -  Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/08 12:25 am, edited 1/11/08 12:37 am
Good Morning, All! Just read the original post and felt that the info given was simply a comment about her personal experience; not a guideline for others.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/board_id,4856/cat_id, 4456/topic_id,3496438/a,messageboard/action,replies/#2736213 0
Iced Latte
on 1/11/08 2:00 am - Northeastern, LA
Thanks.  I understood that.  That's why I was asking what others are doing.

DanielleH_RD
on 1/11/08 7:52 am - CA
600 calories is definitely LOW. The bigger issue with many people at that point is that  1. they may have NO appetite 2. they get full very quickly 3. they have some food aversions due to complications or dumping which may make them not want to eat at all 4. they may be soooo sick of their protein choices they don't want to eat 5. they are afraid to eat 6. they are afraid of gaining weight so they stop eating 7. they are following their docs advice (many doctors/many opinions) Now none of these reasons say this is the rule or the correct way of eating post-op, but each person deals with different issues post-op AND the picture is often more complicated that it appears on the surface. I agree with the others, you should go with what your doc advises.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

PlumpKitty
on 1/11/08 8:04 am - Fredericton, Canada
Phenominal answer! 2 thumbs up from the PK ;) Now get that in a hand book  hehehe HUGS PK
327/318/150/  start/surgery/goal
**Current Weight 149 pounds**
I *AM* the PK 
wendy_fou
on 1/11/08 12:54 pm - AR
At my 3 month check-up, my surgeon increased my caloric intake to 700 (it had been 600 for the first 3 months). But I have seen many long-term successful post-ops here that state that their caloric intake is 800-900 (and they are a couple of YEARS out).   Everyone is different though! 
LizzyL
on 1/11/08 8:33 pm - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with

Hi Wendy, yes , that would be ME .........who only eats .....800 - 1,000 calories a day. reason being is what  DanielleH_RD said . and i am over 3 -  1/2 years post op. this is the calorie intake that my body can handle. and i am maintaining my weight for OVER a year and a 1/2 now. you are correct to say that everyone is different. hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

wendy_fou
on 1/12/08 12:11 am - AR
See I am wondering what my surgeon's maintainance plan looks like.  I am not supposed to eat more than 6-8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) EVER.  So there are only so many calories one can get in (without eating high fat, high sugar foods) when one is only eating 6-8 tablespoons.   I used to worry about what my maintainance plan would require me to eat.  But even on 600-700 calories, my weight loss is really slowing down, so I don't worry about it anymore. 
Most Active