Metamucil

Fran W.
on 1/9/08 12:32 am - Catonsville, MD
Can we take this or any other fiber supplement?
kleekelly
on 1/9/08 1:44 am - Hudson Falls, NY
I have not had surgery, but on my papers of things to have after surgery, Benefiber is listed and it is over the counter.  Hope this helps!

Kristy 

MelaniaB_RD
on 1/9/08 10:35 am, edited 1/9/08 10:35 am - Costa Mesa, CA
There are many types of fiber supplements on the market today.  One of my favorites is Benefiber because it can be mixed into virtually ANYTHING.  It also does not thicken a product such as a liquid or alter the taste or texture in any way.  There may also be new products on the market which are similar to this one, but most of them are fruit flavored, which means you are limited with what you can mix the fiber into without altering the taste or texture.  For example, I mix Benefiber into my coffee every morning and I don't even know it is there.  (I also sneak it into my husbands coffee and he has never noticed).    A word of caution regarding adding fiber to ANY diet:  Add the fiber slowly into your diet and remember to drink additional fluids because fiber absorbs fluid.  If you do not drink enough fluid with a higher fiber diet, things will block up if you know what I mean.   I would suggest using a fiber supplement that tastes good to YOU!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Fran W.
on 1/10/08 4:23 am - Catonsville, MD
Thanks!  What about fiber supplements pills, like the Metamucil capsules?  Or should we stick to the liquid?
Most Active