Cream of Wheat how do you prepare it for wls serving

AnneS2bthin
on 1/7/08 9:44 pm - Cheektowaga, NY
Today is my first day of full liquids.   I read that I can have Cream of Wheat for breakfast.   I didn't buy the instant packet kind.   I was wondering if any of you can give me a recipe to make this choice easier to prepare. I am just about 1 week post op. Help!!!

Anne       

1texasmom
on 1/8/08 4:11 am
I made it according to the package directions, except with milk for the additional protein.  After it was done, I topped my serving with more cold milk.  It helped to cool it down and it made it more runny for the full liquid stage.

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

AnneS2bthin
on 1/9/08 9:06 am - Cheektowaga, NY
      Thanks  Texasmom Thanks for replying, but I have more questions. How much cream of wheat mix would I use for my serving size?  how much milk or water should I use then.   I made it yesterday, but it was too much for me and I threw out almost a soup bowl full.

Anne       

1texasmom
on 1/9/08 9:56 am
I made a full serving size.  Then I measured out what I knew I could eat and put the rest away. I would end up eating it later in the week, especially on those mornings when I am rushed.  Early on I could only eat 2 tablespoons (cooked), and now I can eat about 1/4c.

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

AnneS2bthin
on 1/10/08 1:33 am - Cheektowaga, NY
thanks texasmom   that will help!

Anne       

amruby
on 1/11/08 12:40 am - Spring Hope, NC
The box  calls for 3/4 c water or milk and 3 tbs of Cream of wheat.  I usually make it with 1/2 c of water and 2 tbs of cream of wheat and a pinch of salt.   I have added Splenda to it.  I zap it in the microwave all together for about 1 minute 45 seconds.  I stir it and add additional time in the microwave in 30 second increments until it gets to the thickness I like.  Watch it because it will boil over in the microwave and is a mess.   Once I remove it I had Smart Balance oleo and a little skim milk to taste.    I usally don't quite eat the entire serving but I have when I was really hungry.   This has become a staple at my house.    Grate cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top while it is hot is another way that I have tried it. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/08 1:09 am
I love hot cereal for breakfast, and still, at 7 months out, eat it.  However, I am wayyyyy too lazy to make it from the box, so it's packets for me.  I add unjury for that extra protein kick, a splash of milk and SF maple syrup--oh, and sprinkle of cinnamon.  I do the same to malt-o-meal and oatmeal :)
Most Active