Liquid Diet?? Weight Loss?

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/08 6:41 am
Hello Everyone, I am fairly new to the OH Message  Boards.   I am Pre-op right now and due to CO-Morbities I must loose at least 55 lbs before my surgery. I have trouble with exercise.  The diet I was put on by my Nutritionist is not helping and most of the foods she demands that I eat and the plan I should stick to I am allergic to....  (she will not listen to anything and she was chosen by my WLS Doctor). Does anyone reccomend any diets and also any Liquid only diets??  I would like to know more about the liquid diets due to my DR. stating that if I cannot loose the weight faster he wants to put me on a liquid diet???  Thanks and I am glad this website is here, I have learned so much from everyone. :)-Meagan
Nicole T.
on 1/7/08 8:56 pm
your last name is tedeschi? so is mine! weird. anyway, if you can tell me what foods you feel you are allergic to, i may be able to help. my primary care physician is testing me right now for celiac disease, which is an intolerance to gluten which is in wheat, barley. let me know more. have a good day.
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/08 9:33 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

I only had to do liquids for one week before my surgery, but I lost 10 pounds during that week.  So if you can wrap your mind around the fact that a full liquid diet is a short-term need to get you to a long-term goal, you'll be able to do this!   If you prefer not to do a full liquid diet, I'd recommend following the South Beach Diet.  You'll lose more on Phase 1, but Phase 2 is okay as well.  The South Beach Diet is similar to how you'll need to eat after your surgery, so it's a good starting point.   Good luck dropping the 55 pounds so you can move on to the next phase of your journey -  Kellie

Starting Over
on 1/14/08 12:16 am
My surgeon requires ALL of his patients to lose atleast 5% of their excess weight before surgery PLUS he has a one month pre-op diet requirement to help shrink the liver for surgery. I lost 26 lbs in the month before surgery. The diet was to eat ATLEAST 80 grams of protein and have no more than 30 carbs a day. That was REALLY difficult in the beginning because one glass of juice could have 26 carbs. But as soon as I found the right foods it wasn't so difficult. Also, I was supposed to walk half a mile a day. I confess I HARDLY did that...but I did up my water intake immensely. Send me a message if you'd like more info on the pre-op diet that I used. BTW, I too have a sucky nutritionist that my surgeon recommended. I could see another one, but for his pre-op requirements I HAD to see the one he required atleast twice. Good Luck!
Most Active