When can I stop the chewables??

Brandi F.
on 1/7/08 3:11 am - Hamburg, PA
I'd like to have (at least) one of the professionals answer this in addition to anyone who has an opinion to throw at me. I'm wondering when (OR IF) my body will ever be able to handle a regular vitamin...or do I have to chew up Flinstones for the rest of my life? I hate them, but they're necessary, so I take them and will continue to do so until I die...but I'd love to know if my body would utilize a pill I could just swallow?  I'm also wondering about calcium. I think I'm the only one who thinks the Citracal creamy bites are gross. The flavor of them is too strong for me...so I feel gaggy over them, but I use them because they're necessary. Is there something in pill form that my body can utilize as well as these yucky chewy things? It may seem like I'm complaining, and I am in a way but only to see if I can utilize alternatives. I thank my lucky stars every day for this wonderful surgery and I'll continue with these chewables if I have to and feel blessed...because I am.  :)

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

sarard
on 1/7/08 6:01 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi there! Well, every surgeon has different rules, but here's what I tell my clients: After one year, you can take a regular vitamin, but if it's one of the giant pills (like Centrum), then cut it in half before taking (take both halves). You can take any type of Calcium you want. Calcium Citrate is best absorbed, but Calcium Carbonate is absorbed well too. Some of my clients have taken just standard generic calcium they find a Walgreens or some store like that, or Viactiv chew, or the standard Citracal (rather than the creamy bites). Double check with your surgeon before altering the routine he or she has set up for you. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Brandi F.
on 1/7/08 12:42 pm - Hamburg, PA
Hi, Sara...thanks for replying.  :) I have an appointment with my nut on the 17th and I'll speak to her about this too, she'll know what my surgeon recommends as she's in his office and knows what he wants. Hopefully she'll say that I can switch over at some point...that'd be a great surgiversary gift!!! Wow, I'm so surprised to see that you recommend calcium carbonate. I've heard it said over and over again that our bodies don't absorb that. Is it just not absorbed as well??? 

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

sarard
on 1/8/08 4:36 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, it's just not absorbed as well. But, you do absorb it -
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Brandi F.
on 1/8/08 2:28 pm - Hamburg, PA
Got'cha! Thanks.  :)

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

Amy_in_MA
on 1/7/08 3:00 pm - Danvers, MA
Since I was 5 weeks post-op, I was cleared to take regular (non-chewable) multivitamins. However, I have stuck with chewables because the Centrum get stuck on me...even when cut in half. So, I take either the Centrum Adult Chewable or the Centrum Silver Chewable. Yes, they make adult chewables as well, so you're not stuck with Flintstones.

Brandi F.
on 1/8/08 2:23 pm - Hamburg, PA
Hmmm...do the Centrum chewables taste better than the Flintstones? Did you like the Flintstones?

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

Amy_in_MA
on 1/8/08 8:06 pm, edited 1/8/08 8:06 pm - Danvers, MA
I wasn't a big fan of Flintstones or Centrum chewables, but I gutted through taking the Centrum chewables. I do like the Centrum Silver Chewables...so that's what I take now. :)

Brandi F.
on 1/9/08 2:10 am - Hamburg, PA
Cool. I'm going to have to try them. I'm really hating these Flintstones! How has your dosage changed from taking the children's to the adult formula?

Lap RNY on 8-21-07

Amy_in_MA
on 1/9/08 2:25 am - Danvers, MA
I actually never took the Flintstones chewables post-op...only the Centrum chewables...I have taken plenty of Flintstones in the past though. Dosage, I have just taken one a day. :)

Most Active