HELP belly pain???

Karen S.
on 1/5/08 3:16 am - Hudson Falls, NY
I am four months out from surgery.  On Thursday I took a zinc tab on an empty stomach, which I now know is not a good idea.  I had some sharp pains, became very tired and slept it off...or so I thought...Last night at work ( I work 7p to 7a) I ate my homemade chili (hamburg, stewed tomatoes with green peppers and onions, and kidney beans..No spices I like it plain)  shortly after I started with a gnawing, burning, sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen, which at times brought tears to my eyes.  I toughed out the rest of the night at work came home took a hot shower and tried to go to bed...I could not lie down without sharp pains.  (Had to call off for tonight due to pain and no sleep.) Got up and sat in the chair, which helped at least it made it tolerable.  Finally after 3 hours of all of this I made a call to the MD, she told me to take Maalox give it 2 hours, she also called in a Rx for pancreatic enzymes, she said if this did not help to go to the ER. As of this time, the pain is ok as long as I do not lie down.  I am really scared has anyone had this happen and if so what the heck was it????  MD thinks it maybe something stuck in my pouch or gas in my old stomach. PS: I have had NO frothing, nausea or vomiting.  I have been constipated and have had a moderate sized BM with the help of a Fleets.  Any help or advice would be helpful.  Karen Schworm

DanielleH_RD
on 1/5/08 12:05 pm - CA
I am assuming we can rule out gall bladder and appendicitis... If not, you may want to visit an ER if this happens again. My other thought would be impacted bowel - which is not all that uncommon. If you have been constipated, you may need a little more serious cleaning out. Talk to your doctor - see what they think.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Karen S.
on 1/6/08 12:13 am - Hudson Falls, NY

Thank you for your response.  I will be seeing the MD on Tuesday and I will discuss this with her.   Yesterday I took the Maalox, MOM, a Fleets enema, and the pancreatic enzymes the MD ordered.  I have been able to tolerate water without pain.  I tried one little pretzels last night before going to bed and that seemed to be okay.   Right now I am drinking my firs****er of the day, (I just got up and slept from 11pm till now, I hadn't slept the night before or yesterday due to pain).  I am going to wait the 1/2 hour after the water and try to eat something....I hope all goes well. Thanks again.  Karen Schworm

Most Active