Chemo - Need to Gain Weight - Life and Death

Anggi
on 1/4/08 11:00 am - Rapid City, SD

I had a Roux-en-Y on 4/12/06. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in my head on 6/27/06. I underwent surgery on 7/2/06. I did 7 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy beginning 8/7/06. I barely fought my way through without losing too much weight, but finally made it to the end of the 7 weeks. However, following treatment, I lost another 20 pounds (which felt great but I did not need to lose it).  I put on some weight over the next 8-9 months and was sitting with an extra 7-8 pounds when my cancer returned. I was diagnosed with the return of adenocarcinoma in my bones on 10/10/07. This time they say it's terminal. My best case scenario is that chemo may give me a little bit of extra time.  I did two weeks of radiation in 11/07 and began chemo on the Monday before Thanksgiving. I am scheduled to have chemo every 3 weeks. However, my doctor cancelled my 3rd chemo for a week because I had already lost 14 pounds. Scans indicate that the chemo is keeping the cancer from spreading (although not shrinking what is already there). Unfortunately, my doctor is very adamant that if I lose any more weight, chemo will have to be stopped until I gain some weight back. (During which time the cancer will continue to grow.) I eat as much as I can throughout the day and am basically stuffed and miserably full from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I have hypoglycemia and dumping syndrome, so I have to watch my sugar intake. I can not just eat junk food because I have to be mindful of nutrition in addition to the number on the scale. So I eat lots of fat protein foods (hamburgers. etc). If anyone has any suggestions, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks, Angela

01mommy
on 1/5/08 5:49 am, edited 1/5/08 6:29 am
Angela, I am so sorry to hear about your current medical condition and I pray that you will be as well as you can be during this time.  I have had 2 dear aunties struggle with cancer in the past few years, and both used the same method for slightly different reasons. One aunt used marijuana medicinally to combat the nausea that's so common with cancer treatments and the other used it to induce appetite, as she had no desire to eat otherwise.  The marijuana was typically not smoked, it was stored in a jar of vegetable oil (the active compound is fat soluble) and used as a food additive or drunk as a hot tea. I think there is a cancer forum on this site, perhaps you could cross-post there and get some firsthand suggestions...all the best.
DanielleH_RD
on 1/5/08 12:01 pm - CA
You are right to try and pack as many calories as you can into your foods.  If carbs are  a problem with dumping, then fat is the next best answer. With cancer, the rule is: Never eat or drink anything that does not have calories - and when you can, boost the calories. Drink egg nog or at least whole milk Make a milkshake and add a couple teaspoons of canola oil when you mix it in the blender Drink fruit smoothies - usually very high in calories It is very common to have "better times" in the day for eating - take advantage of those times. If you are having nausea, there are many medications available.  Talk to your doctor about what will be best for you. The malabsorption of your surgery is an unavoidable fact you have to deal with.  Unfortunately, this may make things more difficult.  I have had a number of patients in a similar situation to you.  It is difficult, but not impossible to get what you need.  There will be good days & bad days.  Be very strict with taking your supplements!  Even if you have to switch to liquid form, or pulverize your tablets and mix them in to food - they are extra important to you right now! I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

~ Stylz ~
on 1/5/08 2:01 pm - North of Boston, MA
Angela, sorry to hear about your health condition!   have you tried nuts, peanut butter or other nut butters?  i have reactive hypoglycemia and eat about 3/4 jar of pb a week, it helps with crashes, keeps me full and helps me maintain instead of lose now that im at goal.  because theres 8gr of protein in it, i use it as meals sometimes when im not hungry.  because nuts are high in fat maybe it will help you gain and get you back to chemo faster. youre in my thoughts and prayers!

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

sarard
on 1/5/08 2:20 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Sometimes with RNY (it depends on your surgeon) you can place a G-tube in the bypassed stomach for tube feeding. You'd have to check with the surgeon who performed the RNY and check to see if you are in a good position to have a G-tube placed (gastrostomy tube for nutrition and hydration). Especially since chemo can destroy your appetite and make you have nausea and vomiting. In addition, a G-tube in your bypassed stomach would allow you to absorb 100% of all nutrition going in .....I'd call your surgeon and ask for his or her advice - I'm not convinced you will be able to EAT enough calories to gain weight during chemo ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/08 4:32 pm

Anggi,

I recently read your post here on OH.  I am the VP of Fresh Start, a new to market 42g bariatric protein product that has been taking Lap Band and GBypass surgeons by storm the last 2 months.

It is not yet available directly to the public, except through surgeons in the Southern US.  All 42 grams are taken in just 2.8oz of product.

I am touched by your story, and we would like to do anything we can to help.  I would like to sponsor you, and send as many Complimentary cases of 42g Fresh Start as you can drink.

Please register with your email address at Http://www.LapBandrotein.com and I will personally see that the cases are shipped right out to you.

I have dealt with Cancer in many family members, many of which were terminal.  Although doctors are experts, they are still making educated guesses as to time frames and outcomes.  Dont lose hope.

James "Sulli" Sullivan Http://www.Lapbandprotein.com

Nicole T.
on 1/7/08 2:22 am

I can't believe you are trying to sell your product to someone who is dying of cancer. What a horses ass you are!

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/08 2:39 am
Nicole, It is unfortunate you see it that way.  I have had 4 family members and 6 close friends die of Cancer, and take it very personally.  We will do everything we can to help Anggi without charging a dime. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Best of luck to you Nicole, ==Sulli==
MARLENA S.
on 1/12/08 11:27 am - middletown, CT
RNY on 09/04/07 with
Angela,  My heart truely goes out to you, i hope you find comfort through this difficult time you are going through. if there is anything i can do for you, please contact me. (((( Hugs ))))))  Marlena

http://www.myspace.com/marrose76
Rny 9-4-07 -158lbs
July 10th, 2009 Brachioplasty (Arms) & Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

Most Active