How Much Protien?

rc2600
on 1/2/08 12:12 am - Oakdale, MN

We have talked in our groups before about how much our bodies actually need a day. My doctor said women should try and get 60-80 grams per day. I've heard that if you eat 80 or more grams our bodies really don’t use it they just get rid of it. Can you please let us know at what point our bodies stop absorbing protein.

Thanks,
Rachel Petersen

DanielleH_RD
on 1/2/08 10:59 am - CA
I don't think I can give you a set point, set gram level, etc.  The fact is, your metabolism is as individual as everything else about you. Protein needs change depending on what your body has to do each day (in work & exercise), what areas need improvement (internally, I mean), and what needs to be built up (like immune cells).  To say one person has a set level cannot be extrapolated to all people. Protein needs are influenced by weight, age, fitness, activity, and health among many other things. General guidelines (like your doctor's 60-80 gram per day) are a good place to start, but many factors need to be considered before one arbitrarily says they are no longer absorbing protein at a specific intake level. For most WLS patients, protein becomes the limiting factor in many body functions.  When the body doesn't get enough protein you may get fatigued, have trouble fighting a cold, have poor healing, not to mention lose your hair and have a rugged complexion. Calories are energy and come from multiple sources.  Protein is not stored in your body when it is in excess, like fat.  So, when you need protein, you either need to get it from your foodor your body will "cannibalize" itself to have a protein source. Our bodies are amazing, adaptive systems and very skilled at recycling. My bias is that it is better to err on the side of excess when talking about protein in WLS - provided you have good kidneys and no other contraindications. Does this help?
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active