need help with Iron and b-12

ellie1963
on 12/30/07 6:35 am - Houston, TX
I just got my bllod work back from my doc.  she said I am very low on b-12 and my iron is so low she had to prescribe me iron tabs.  What should I do to get this under control?
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 10:19 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
What did your doctor suggest, other than prescribing iron tabs?  I'd recommend following his/her instructions, then getting retested in an appropriate time frame to see if it's helping.  I take an OTC iron supplement and sublingual B-12 every day.   By the way, iron can be very constipating.  I was having such problems with constipation any time I took iron, that my surgeon suggested I take 3 stool softener geltabs every time I take an iron supplement.  That worked for me and I've been taking iron daily without becoming constipated.  Hopefully that won't be a problem for you, but I wanted to share the information just in case... Good luck getting this under control -  Kellie
ellie1963
on 1/1/08 3:45 am - Houston, TX

Thanks Kellie,

For now I am taking meds doc gave and will be retested next week.

DanielleH_RD
on 1/1/08 1:19 am - CA
My advice is to take folate along with your B12 - they work together in the body in the production of healthy, mature blood cells. With iron rich foods, remember to get adequate vit C to help with the absorption.  To take the iron in fumerate or gluconate form is usually not as constipating as sulfate.  If you do get constipated, increase the fiber and water in your diet a little and that should help.  Also, don't take calcium and iron at the same time because they conflict with each other.  Don't take iron with coffee or tea because it interferes with the absorption. Recognize that you are having a problem that many others post-op have as well.  Take your supplements and carry on with your healthier new life! Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

ellie1963
on 1/1/08 3:48 am - Houston, TX
Thank you Danielle, Will give this a try.  It has been hard doing with out my coffee long enough to take the iron tabs...lol
Most Active