what can I eat????

Diane B.
on 12/30/07 1:44 am - Crestview, FL

I had WLS 7/30/07 - I have currently lost 70 lbs by the Grace of God, but am at a standstill - have only lost 3 lbs since 20 November.  I can only tolerate things that are crunchy and break down to small particles, ie.  crackers, nuts, etc.  Meat and vegetables make me vomit.  I am afraid I am having a psychological problem with food hitting my stomach and making me nauseous.  I get sick and feel fine afterwards but switch to things like crackers, etc. to keep from getting sick.  HELP!!!!!

Jupiter6
on 12/30/07 4:16 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Diane-- your problem is a common one-- and I have to tell you, MOST of us eat crunchy/carby things better- The thing is, the density of most protein-rich food is what makes it filling and sustaining-- and processed carbs are often how we became obese in the first place. If you are vomiting on soft meats (purees, chili even) then you really should call your doctor immediately. You know this, I am sure, but the lack of protein in your diet is very very dangerous. Your ability to heal and sustain yourself is compromised terribly. Don't forget, this journey is not about weight loss, it's about health. If you absolutely cannot get down any protein rich foods-- after you call your doctor-- make sure you're drinking protein shakes, or Isopure (clear beverage with whey isolate) or cheeses-- if you must crunch, maybe some Soy Crisps (which are low in fat and contain soy protein.) Protein first-- and foremost. Please take care of yourself! 

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Diane B.
on 12/30/07 7:14 am - Crestview, FL
Thank you!  I can eat a little bit of meat not much - I had one stricture problem already so I can tell the difference so know it is not that.  I am truly trying hard on the protein but it is so difficult - just wish there was some substitute for the crunchy/carby thing... Diane
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/07 10:07 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Have you tried some softer proteins?  Things like cottage cheese, yogurt, fish, canned tuna, canned chicken, chili, etc.?  Your pouch may tolerate these things better than denser proteins like beef, chicken, and pork.  Although these softer proteins do not have the same "staying power" as dense proteins, they would be better choices than crackers and nuts.   My pouch tolerated soft proteins much better until I was 6-8 months out; then I was able to handle dense proteins much better without discomfort.  Perhaps your pouch just needs additional time to adjust and adapt. Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
Most Active