Micellar Milk

Jane E.
on 12/28/07 5:40 am - Lawrenceville, GA
VSG on 01/04/08 with
I have tried and it is good.  It is supposedly a milk protein, how does that compare with Whey and is it as good for the VGSers.

Jane

DanielleH_RD
on 12/28/07 11:42 am - CA
Well - I had to go back to Dairy Chemistry for this one! (No kidding - we study that!) Micelles are typically molecules formed from phospholipids - which are part of fats.  Milk has a structure in it that forms a micelle.  The micelle formed in milk involves the protein casein.  The two main proteins in milk are whey and casein.  The ratio of these two components identifies whether we are looking at human milk (more whey) or cows milk (more casein) or elephant milk.   Whey is more water soluble.  Casein will separate out from milk with the addition of an acid or enzyme (or heat and a few other things) to form curds which are the foundation for cheese making.   As an aside, the process of homogenization breaks apart this micelle (and other structures) into smaller molecules so that milk doesn't separate. But your question is if it's good for you - well it's not bad.  I think the highest points still go to whey because of it's improved solubility and reasonable price.  If you're looking for an alternative to whey due to taste or other preferences, it's not a bad choice. I hope that helps.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active